October 22, 2008

We gonna' rock down to.....

My fabulous friend Mrs.X (yes, she pays me to say that) had this awesome Music Meme thing on her blog that goes by the year you graduated. Apparently she's even more fabulous than I thought since we not only graduated the same year, but she's also a bicentennial baby just like yours truly!

So, here's the deets:

A.) Go to musicoutfitters.com

B.) Enter the year you graduated from high school in the search function and get the list of 100 most popular songs of that year.

C.) Bold the songs you like, strike through the ones you REALLY hate.

And because this blog is mine & I can do what I durn well please, I will add my own comments about the songs as I see fit, so there, pbth.

This is when I must admit to an unhealthy love of pop music. My true love was alternative rock and the like (think The Cure, Pearl Jam, The Pixies, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, They Might Be Giants, Tori Amos, Jane's Addiction, Pearl Jam, 10,000 Maniacs...Have I mentioned I love Pearl Jam?), but I could totally rock out to Ace of Base while hiding in my room with the curtains drawn. Sorry, y'all. I'm just being honest. Like you didn't already suspect that, what with my mild obsession with NKOTB.

So, without further ado, here are your top 100 songs from 1994:

1. The Sign, Ace Of Base

2. I Swear, All-4-One

3. I'll Make Love To You, Boyz II Men (This song makes me shudder. I had just broken up with my boyfriend of 3 years when a friend of mine told me he had something for me & would I meet him out at his buddy's car after play practice. As I was waiting for QM to come pick me up {yes, I was 18 with no driver's license} he held my hands, gazed deeply into my eyes, & sang this song to me while the friend who owned the car sang back up for him. It was massively uncomfortable for both me & the poor friend singing back up. When he was done singing I said thank you, walked away & never mentioned it to him again. Over the course of the summer he declared his undying love to most of my girl friends.)

4. The Power Of Love, Celine Dion

5. Hero, Mariah Carey

6. Stay (I Missed You), Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories

7. Breathe Again, Toni Braxton

8. All For Love, Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting

9. All That She Wants, Ace Of Base

10. Don't Turn Around, Ace Of Base (Told you I loved me some Ace of Base.)

11. Bump N' Grind, R. Kelly

12. Again, Janet Jackson

13. I'll Remember, Madonna

14. Whatta Man, Salt-N-Pepa

15. Wild Night, John Mellencamp and Me'shell Ndegeocello

16. Without You/Never Forget You, Mariah Carey

17. You Mean The World To Me, Toni Braxton

18. Can You Feel The Love Tonight, Elton John

19. The Most Beautiful Girl In The World, Prince Symbol

20. Fantastic Voyage, Coolio

21. Baby I Love Your Way, Big Mountain (Makes me want to watch Reality Bites over & over again with Art.)

22. Regulate, Warren G and Nate Dogg

23. If You Go, Jon Secada

24. Back and Forth, Aaliyah

25. Now And Forever, Richard Marx

26. When Can I See You, Babyface

27. Please Forgive Me, Bryan Adams

28. So Much In Love, All-4-One

29. Shoop, Salt-N-Pepa

30. Any Time, Any Place/And On And On, Janet Jackson

31. Shine, Collective Soul

32. Said I Loved You...But I Lied, Michael Bolton

33. Return To Innocence, Enigma (LOVE, LOVE, LOVED this song. Very yodelly & made me want to dance about with ribbons & long skirts.)

34. All I Wanna Do, Sheryl Crow (I remember the first time I ever heard this song. Nettie was a newly licensed driver & we were cruising out to her house in her little blue car. I fell in love with Sheryl Crow...but I thought the song was called Santa Monica Blvd)

35. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm, Crash Test Dummies

36. Can We Talk, Tevin Campbell

37. Funkdafied, Da Brat

38. I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That), Meat Loaf (What exactly would he not do for love? This song drove me crazy!)

39. Gangsta Lean, Drs

40. Because The Night, 10,000 Maniacs

41. Cantaloop, US3

42. Whoomp! (There It Is), Tag Team (Grrrr....)

43. Come To My Window, Melissa Etheridge (I belted this out in my dorm room on a regular basis...much to the chagrin of my conservative Christian college roommate.)

44. Stroke You Up, Changing Faces

45. I'm Ready, Tevin Campbell

46. 100% Pure Love, Crystal Waters

47. Anytime You Need A Friend, Mariah Carey

48. Because Of Love, Janet Jackson

49. Linger, Cranberries (Nettie introduced me to this one too. She has great taste in music.)

50. Loser, Beck ("Drive by body pierce!")

51. Found Out About You, Gin Blossoms

52. Gin And Juice, Snoop Doggy Dogg

53. Never Lie, Immature

54. Streets Of Philadelphia, Bruce Springsteen (I know this may put me on the list of Communists hiding out in the corn fields of Illinois, but I do not like The Boss. At all.)

55. Getto Jam, Domino

56. Endless Love, Luther Vandross and Mariah Carey

57. I Miss You w/ Aaron Hall

58. Understanding, Xscape

59. This D.J., Warren G

60. Cry For You, Jodeci

61. Keep Ya Head Up, 2Pac

62. Who Am I (What's My Name?), Snoop Doggy Dogg

63. Another Night, Real McCoy

64. Your Body's Callin', R. Kelly

65. Tootsee Roll, 69 Boyz

66. I Can See Clearly Now, Jimmy Cliff (OK, I have a love hate relationship with this song. Again, makes me want to watch Reality Bites...but I had a friend in my first period choir class who felt the need to sing this to me every. stinking. morning. I can't help but sing along, but deep down inside, there's a 17 year old dying to strangle some tall brunette boy.)

67. Never Keeping Secrets, Babyface

68. Crazy, Aerosmith (I didn't realize until recently that I have a HUGE thing for Aerosmith. Odd. I never thought I liked them. I can't stand to watch Steven Tyler sing....)

69. Just Kickin' It, Xscape

70. At Your Best (You Are Love), Aaliyah

71. Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through, Meat Loaf (My issues with Meat Loaf are deep seeded.)

72 Amazing, Aerosmith

73. Always, Erasure (I don't remember this song at all...well, not from the title anyway. But I LOVED their song Stars. Nettie's brother Squeggie introduced me to them.)

74. Groove Thang, Zhane

75. Dreams, Gabrielle

76. Mr. Vain, Culture Beat

77. Mary Jane's Last Dance, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

78. Anything, SWV

79. Beautiful In My Eyes, Joshua Kadison

80. Stay, Eternal

81. Flava In Ya Ear, Craig Mack

82. U.N.I.T.Y., Queen Latifah

83. Prayer For The Dying, Seal

84. Secret, Madonna

85. Here Comes The Hotstepper, Ini Kamoze

86. Everyday, Phil Collins

87. Don't Take The Girl, Tim McGraw (The first time I heard this song I bawled like a baby. I was riding home with my boyfriend & his family in their overcrowded station wagon. They were all chatting loudly & I was zoned out, listening to the radio {still not sure why they were listening to country}. I started crying & they all thought I'd lost my mind. I still cry when I hear it.)

88. Got Me Waiting, Heavy D and The Boyz

89. December 1963 (Oh, What A Night), Four Seasons (This song. OH, it's like fingernails on a chalk board. And the girls I worked with when I was preggers with BabyGirl knew it. They would sing it loudly when ever they were near me & I had no means of escape. Evil.)

90. Indian Outlaw, Tim McGraw

91. Always, Bon Jovi

92. I'm The Only One, Melissa Etheridge

93. Back In The Day, Ahmad

94. Love Sneakin' Up On You, Bonnie Raitt

95. I'll Take You There, General Public

96. Always In My Heart, Tevin Campbell

97. What Is Love, Haddaway

98. And Our Feelings, Babyface

99. Bop Gun (One Nation), Ice Cube

100. I Wanna Be Down, Brandy



Ahhh...now I must plug in my Zune & listen to Eddie Vedder sing Jeremy.

In case you're still interested in my coat issues, I will not be disposing of my school jackets or the leather jacket. I was considering selling the leather on eBay, but Husband thinks I should keep it for #1 Son should he ever want to be a greaser. If so, I will stop referring to him as #1 Son and begin referring to him as Ponyboy. The Carhart has to be kept so I have something to wear when I have to help Husband outside & don't want to ruin my cute coats. Everything else can go to the Salvation Army or Goodwill.

The new coat will be purchased in part with my Target gift card from the Hot Mama Revolution $25 shopping spree challenge. See, now don't you wish you'd have entered?

Now I'm off to try to find an oral surgeon that will take our insurance so I can get these stinking wisdom teeth cut out. I was up in the middle of the night with a horrible toothache & ended up taking pain killers left from my c-section because the Motrin didn't touch it. Grrrr.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

"I will survive, I'll make it through, I'll even learn to live without you..."

Yeah, I liked ace of base too. Graduated in the same year.

Mrs.X said...

Wow, I don't know if we can still be friends since you love Ace of Base. This is almost as bad as when Mr. X told me he liked Pepsi over Coke and Colgate over Crest.
This is a real test!

Since you are a fellow bicentennial baby AND a member of the graduating class of 1994 AND all around cool lady, I guess I can look past this, er, little blip.

:)

Kork said...

Ahhh...Farmie! This is fantastic, and I'm going over to tell Mrs. X so...and that she needs to get past the Ace of Base thing...you're alright.

Jump on over to my site and see what we both liked...and didn't!

Mrs.X said...

There is no universe, no time, no anything in which I would like Ace of Base.

But, deep down, I admire someone (like FarmWife!) who does like them in part because I find it unfathomable to be able to do it.

And, to level the playing field, I will admit that I like:

Richard Marx, Mandy Moore, and Peter Cetera. That hurt to admit.

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

Love your music selection! Of course I won't rub in the fact that I was in 6th grade in '94....
So happy you're gonna get the coat with your Target card. And I don't think God will hold a grudge since you're not giving it to him. He's forgiving like that, ya know!

Also, can't wait for you to weigh in on my latest post! Hop on over. It's a doozy!