February 12, 2007

Let me Trick Your Truck, Buddy!

First of all, I'd like to state that I have the utmost respect for Truckers. My Bucka was a trucker. Uncle Gick was a trucker. I spent a good deal of time in my younger years riding in the cab of Gick's rig. Zonked out in the sleeper, watching out the windows, or listening to the banter of other truckers on the CB while hitching a ride up to Bucka and Busha's. Most truckers are hard working, safety conscious, and reliable. But not the one that nearly creamed me today.

Queen Mother and I were in the van with all 3 (4) of my kids on the way to Wal-Mart (where else?) with Daddy, Princess, and H.T. in their car behind us. At the stop light beside the local comm. college, I was stopped next to a semi. When the light changed we took off and I was heading up to get in front of him before the two lanes merged into one just pass the turn into the old Wal-Mart shopping center. As I was half way up the length of his trailer, I saw his blinker turn on. Knowing he wanted to move into my lane I gave the van some gas to get in front of him. I immediately said, "Don't even think about it, fella'," knowing what was about to happen. He began moving into my lane so I hit the horn and sped up more. In all I honked 3 times, sped way up to get around him, and had to drive with 2 wheels on the concrete median for quite a few yards. Mama said he saw me, but I'd like to know why he didn't get the heck back into his own lane. He had plenty of time before he had to merge.

I was not happy...neither was Princess. When we got into the store she took Daddy's cell and tried to hunt down the trucking company to send them an email. As I was even with him and then in front of him, I had no way to get tags or trailer number. I think Daddy got the trailer number.

A week ago Saturday Beffie (who got her licence 1 week to the day before) was run off her country road by a semi driver cresting a hill in the middle of the road (there are no lines painted out here). He never stopped. She swerved to miss him, hit the ditch, over corrected and hit the opposite ditch. It totalled her little Grand Am...and left her VERY shook up.

Most truckers would never do anything like this. These are boys with CDL's or farmers that think they own the country roads. They make me crazy!!! I am glad that no one was hurt today, but I'd like to get a hold of the guy driving that rig and give him a piece of my very hormonal mind!

6 comments:

Nan said...

Love, love, love your Avatar. Chuckle,chuckle.

I was a little worried about you today when we hadn't had a post since Saturday. It was so unFarmie.

I'm glad you all are fine and made it past the truck (brings to mind Steven Spielberg's first movie "Duel." Did you ever see it? Well, don't watch it after you've been through something like happened to you today.)

FarmWife said...

Miss Cate,
As I told Daddy earlier, yesterday was one of those days...I decided since I couldn't say anything nice, not to say anything at all. It did get better, but then I was too tired/engrossed in Wicked to blog. Today I needed to rant.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad and thankful you are safe. Please take care. Let Daddy beat them up..and Queen Mum get on the phone with them and give them a whopper

zann said...

I'm loving how your avatars are reflecting your feelings. Bad big rig drivers. You are very right most are wonderful but as with any profession there always a few bad apples in the bunch. It's just a shame that those bad apples put the rest of us in danger. Glad no collisions occurred in either case of trucker aggression. You get em Towanda

needlefingers said...

We've had several close encounters at the very spot you're talking about, and they don't have to have several tons of metal on them for it to be alarming.

Maybe they need to make that left lane a turn lane only at the light, and everybody else needs to get in the right to begin with. The same situation happens at the other end of town, by the former Casey's.

Lauren said...

So glad you are ok. With the number of people I know who've been hit or nearly hit by the self-professed kings of the road, I tend to think the good drivers are the exception rather than the rule.

and what's the point of trying to pass another semi when they're going up hill? They end up dropping below the speed limit and holding up traffic.

Arghhh.