June 18, 2012

And I feel fine.

The Saturday after my appendix surgery A Starry Night came to baby sit me.  Husband had to work, the kids had been shipped off to Uncle E & Aunt C's house, and QM was at her brother's graduation.  After a few hours of chatting and some heavy pain killers on my part, A Starry Night and I began discussing books and our mutual friend Eric who sends them to us.  She suggested I email Eric and ask him to send me some reading material to enjoy during my recovery.

Off I went to send a pathetic note to Eric.

Eric pulled through yet again and sent me Ben H. Winters' The Last Policeman: A Novel.

Ben H. Winters and I need to have words. First he gives me the all over heebie-geebies with Bedbugs and now he's got me all wrapped up in end of times paranoia and suspicion with The Last Policeman.

Given the certainty of the end of life on Earth as we know it, what do you do? Do you go bucket list and do all the things you've always wished you had? Do you surround yourself with family and friends? Do you build a bunker in the mountains and stock up on Spam and ammo? 
Detective Hank Palace solves murders. Or suspicious deaths he's sure are murders. Everyone else thinks he should leave well enough alone. "What's the point in solving murders if we're all going to die soon, anyway?"

This is the first book in a planned trilogy and all I can say is the next 2 books cannot come out soon enough!




1 comment:

Inkling said...

I think you should name your place Farmageddon, stock up on seeds, water, edible animals, medical supplies, and ammo.....oh and books from Eric. Or better yet, build a little cabin where Eric can live so that if he cannot mail you books (because I don't think the USPS will survive the end times, no matter how well they survive snow, sleet, hail, and all that jazz), he can still write them for you.

The world probably is coming to an end soon. Your cousin became a protestor and enjoyed every second of it. I'd watch out for pigs flying about now if I were you.