May 31, 2012

How to get an unscheduled day away from home.

Just come down with appendicitis.

Simple, right?

But I really don't suggest it.

Tuesday afternoon, around 5:30, I got sick.  My first thought was that I had a wicked bad case of gas & no gas-x in the house.  After trying every possible position to get comfortable I decided a hot bath would help.  It did, but only very temporarily.  It was Bucka's birthday and I had made him Cat Head Biscuits for dinner but had to call Busha and tell her we weren't coming because my stomach hurt too bad.  Then came the vomiting.  Fun.  After 2 extra-strength Tylenol and an hour on the couch with my hot rice bag, I was comfortable enough to sleep....but only if I didn't move at all.  It was a long night.

The next morning all 4 of the FarmHands had check-ups with our family doctor.  Husband went with us & planned on sitting in the car while I took the kids in to see Doc.  I told him I really thought I'd need his help inside.  Doc took one look at me trying to walk & he new something was wrong.  15 minutes later I was on my way to the hospital for a CAT scan.  By 1:30 that afternoon I was being wheeled down to surgery.

Grandma M&M had surgery in Indy on Monday so Mama was on her way to our neck of the woods when they took me back.  That was a God send because we really need her help around here right now.

Apparently the surgeon asked me if I wanted to go home the same day and I told him no.  I wanted to stay in the hospital over night because I didn't want to try to recover from surgery at home with 4 kids.

He opted to do an open appendectomy in stead of the laproscopic surgery because of how close my appendix was to the surface.  He said it would be faster and easier to get to it if he just opened me up.  I figured one opening as opposed to 3 sounded good to me.

I'm sorry if this post is a bit disjointed.  Vicodin and I are buddy-buddy right now.  I think it may be nap time.


Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heal up quick, OK?

Layla said...

SO glad you were at the dr that day and he realized something was very wrong!!! Sending fast healing thoughts your way!