March 21, 2012

Bring on the grand kids!

"They" say Grand Kids are God's reward for not killing your kids.  I tell myself that on a regular basis.  Someday all the arguing and craziness will have been worth it because my children will have children and I can spoil those children rotten and send them home to drive their parents crazy.  Isn't that what a grandma is for?

In the meantime, I'm going to stock up on things a grandma needs....like blankets and clothes her children had so she can compare just how alike the grand babies and first babies are....and toys....and games....and books....and books....and books.

And I've found the perfect books to start my grandbaby collection (please, no one burst my bubble by telling me my kids are ages 4 to 10 and grandbabies are so far off I could fill the house with stuff for them before they ever get here):

Little Miss Bronte's Jane Eyre: A Counting Primer by Jennifer Adams, art by Alison Oliver

Little Master Carroll's Alice in Wonderland: A Colors Primer by Jennifer Adams, art by Alison Oliver

The books are marketed as "a fashionable way to introduce your child to the world of classic literature."  If by "introduce" they mean make your child familiar with the titles and a few characters here & there, then sure...but I see them much more as a catchy theme for baby books.  But I loved them none the less.

The illustrations are quirky and entertaining and have a sweet playfulness to them.  The idea of counting "1 Governess" and "4 Towers" on Thornfield Hall (there, Mama- I remembered & didn't have to look it up) makes me all giddy.  The only complaint I have (and I'm not alone in it) is that the "Blue Caterpillar" in the Alice color primer is really teal- not truly blue.  That can be a bit hard to explain to a toddler just learning their basic colors.

The few quotes scattered through out the Jane Eyre primer really thrilled me and I wish there had been some Alice quotes in the color primer but in all, I would definitely recommend putting these on your list of shower/first birthday gifts to pick up.  They're lovely and really interesting and board books Mom might not tire of in the 8 million times they must be read.

Now if only I could get my hands on Romeo & Juliet: A Counting Primer and Pride and Prejudice:  A Counting Primer.

No comments: