August 11, 2010

It's a Hard Knock Life

I have had very strong opinions on televisions in children's bed rooms. I never wanted my kids to have them. I was very vocal about that. As per the norm for these situations, I'm now eating my words.

I came home from church last fall (I think) to find Husband had moved the little used television out of our bed room and into the boys' room. I was not happy. But the children were over the moon. And it was much easier for Husband and I to watch, let's say House...or Heroes...or NCIS without missing 70% of the dialogue or worrying about the kids seeing a dismembered corpse.

But the honeymoon phase didn't last long. BabyGirl wanted her own entertainment and wasn't satisfied with having a turn every now & again at picking out a movie to watch in the boys' room. Add to that the argument over who got to sit where in the small floor space directly in front of the television and things spiraled down at lightning speed.

Sunday Husband and I bought the old TV that sat in Grandma M&M's sewing/laundry/spare room from the Garage Sale Pile QM has been working on. BabyGirl now has her own telly and all is right in our worlds again. I even got a 2 hour, relatively uninterrupted nap in this afternoon while everyone stayed safely in their own rooms and didn't fight. Wonder of Wonders, Miracle of Miracles.

My issues with TV's in their rooms have not entirely flown the coop. The only satellite hook-up in the house is in the living room. They can only watch DVD's in their rooms. That way I don't have to worry about what they're watching. I don't have to lock MTV or Teen Nick so they can't watch The Hard Times of RJ Berger or Degrassi: The Boiling Point. I don't have to worry about anyone accidentally ordering Pay-per-view or watching an episode of Three and a Half Men. I feel much safer knowing the worst they'll see is Tim Curry trying to toss Annie off a train trestle.

Speaking of Annie....BabyGirl is Obsessed with Annie. I think she watched it 4 times yesterday. No lie.

Now I love a good musical starring Carol Burnett as much as the next girl, but if I have to hear "Tuh-maarruh, Tuh-maarruh, I love ya', Tuh-maarruh! Yer only a daaaaay aaaaaa-waaaay!" one. more. time. I may lose what little is left of my mind.

No comments: