August 12, 2010

I love the smell of bees wax in the morning.

So, you know how I inherited a new dining room set from Grandma & Grandpa M&M? Well, when it got here, it was in need of a good cleaning. Aunt Silverbelle recommended a good furniture polish & a good degreaser she had used to clean up Grandpa's old roll top desk. I went hunting and only found the furniture polish at one website so I knew it was going to have to be a special order kind of thing.

It came via UPS today. Then I decided I'd better order the degreaser she likes as well since it's another that's not easy to come across anymore.

I cleaned one chair earlier this week, so it got oiled/polished today...and WOW!! does it look good. I cannot wait to get the rest of the set cleaned and polished. It's going to be amazing.

It's a really good thing school starts next week. I really don't need "help" with the rest of this task. I really need alone time. Lots & lots of alone time.

You see, Grandma's table is Victorian in style. Those pesky Victorians with their scroll work and carved details and ornamental finials and the like....the chairs alone will take me all day to clean. The table...well, I'm going to have to get a good drop cloth because I can't take it outside & don't really want what's on it to move into my carpet.

But let me tell you, when I get done, this dump is gonna' shine like the top of the Chrysler Building! Oh crap. Annie is taking over my life now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

take before and after pictures girly..I may hit you up for the names. i've got an antique sewing machine case (you know the kind with the foot pedle) that I need to give a good cleaning to. It was my grandmothers. She used it on the island they lived on and made their clothes on it.

Kork said...

BWA HAHAHAHAHA! Oh, I can just see you tying the kids up to get this done.

And do please share - I've got some special pieces, and it's just so freaking dry out here...sigh...