July 11, 2009

A word on hand-me-downs

When QM brought BabyGirl home 2 weeks ago, she also brought a huge box of hand-me-downs from Princess for yours truly. You remember Princess, don't you? My fashionista baby sister who lives & breathes retail? I love her. Really I do. I'd love her even if she didn't send me new wardrobes with great regularity.

In the box were 2 pairs of jeans that looked like they'd never seen the light of day. Nice jeans. One pair are Guess Jeans, the others, I don't remember right now. There was also the bold print halter dress she wore to HT's first birthday party that I loved but never thought I could pull off (but happily can). There were some adorable capri jeans & a really cute green & white striped Henley. A fabulous navy blue Converse halter tankini, a Jem & the Holograms tank top, a dusty blue twin set, and some cute skirts rounded out the bunch. I was quaking with excitement as I dug through the treasures.

But I know something very certain about my sister & my self. We can both appreciate the same article of clothing, but we also have vastly different styles & tastes. Princess could pull off the low rise jeans & belly shirts while I was rockin' maternity wear for 6 years. For some reason, Princess decided to send me a few of the belly shirts in my giant box o' clothes. I'm pretty sure she just cleaned out her closet & sent me things she no longer needed....but I have to ask, what am I going to do with an orange tube top? Wear it around my waist? I'm not 14 & I'd look a bit ridiculous wearing a tube top with my bra straps sticking out the top....and a strapless simply will not cut it any longer...not after breast feeding 4 ravenous, little, squirmy things.

But by far, my favorite thing she sent me is a black t-shirt printed with large white letters that reads: I like your boyfriend (and he likes me, too). Yeah, I'm saving that one for Parent Teacher Conferences!

1 comment:

Gail said...

Funny! I loved this. Maybe you can wear the tube top to make the low riders look like high riders.

I also love hand me downs.