July 10, 2009

4 is a perfect fit

This week I have learned that it's a good thing Husband & I decided to stop at four kids. Monday QM, Daddy, and HT met us at the 4-H Fair to take a gander around the livestock barns. They brought Katie with them. Katie is my cousin Scotty's 6 year old step-daughter. She's here spending 2 weeks with Uncle Gick & Unkie Di. Adding her & HT to my mix was enough to make me mildly crazy. It's not that either one of them are really difficult to take care of...HT was busy, but stuck close to his Pa & Grammy, and Katie behaved better than my four put together. There's just something about adding 2 extra heads to my head count that made me nearly frantic.

I do head counts on a regular basis. At home, in the yard, at the store, visiting with family, you name it, I'm counting 1-2-3-4. That 5 & 6 really threw me for a loop. Before Bitsy was born, I tried to add one to our number frequently. I'd count 1-2-3 & start to panic thinking we'd lost #4....#4 that we didn't even have yet! 4 must be my magic number.

Katie is here today to play with the FarmHands while Uncle Gick bales hay & Aunt Di takes her dad to E'ville for surgery. I'm beginning to wonder if I can't switch her & BabyGirl out when it's time for Katie to go home. She's so quiet & laid back & easy going....they're both blond, I'm sure no one would ever notice. :) OK, so maybe that's not such a great idea after all.

QM, Daddy, and HT headed back to Tennessee yesterday. I have to say, I miss them. I love having Mama & Daddy up here visiting, and adding HT to the mix makes it even more special. He'll be 3 this fall & he's a big ball of energy.

When QM first brought him & BabyGirl here after BabyGirl's big vacation, he was overwhelmed. He ran around the house like it was FAO Schwarz at Christmastime. He didn't know what to play with first! And to have four kids at his beck and call...it was almost enough to make his 2 year old head explode. He cracks me up.

He was here just long enough for me to become nearly fluent in HT. I thought twin speak was supposed to be reserved just for twins, but HT has tossed that theory out the window. He calls his dad, Dah, his mom, Bum, his grandmother (QM), Deem (his version of Grammy), and he calls me Hunch. It's an odd smashed up version of Aunt FarmWife. As we were leaving the fair Monday he grabbed my hand, drug me to the cars and said, "Hunch, Deems car. Hunch in Deems car." He wasn't happy when I told him I really needed to drive my own car.

I only hope he decides to stay my friend the next time I see him.

1 comment:

Gail said...

That's funny! When my sister and I used to take our six to the lake, we never were able to enjoy it much 'cause we were always counting...one, two, three, four, five, Oh, my gosh! 1, 2 3, 4, 5, 8 whew!