June 4, 2009

Saying Goodbye

It's all over. Andrew has gone where ever it is good dogs go when they die. It's been a tough morning, but we're doing pretty well.

The kids & I got to say goodbye to Andrew this morning, then we left & went to Uncle E's for a while. I wanted their last memory of him to be a good one. Husband stayed behind to take care of all the hard stuff. The kids & I didn't come home until there was a fresh mound of dirt to put flowers on. Husband took the kids & me up to the hill by our house to pick daisies. The kids & I each made a bouquet while Husband dug up a bunch to plant at the head of Andrew's grave. BabyGirl wanted to plant honeysuckle, but it would cover the grave completely. Instead Husband took some scrap lumber & he & the FarmHands built a cross to mark the grave. We'll paint it later this weekend.

It's not been an easy day, not by a long shot, but it's also not been nearly as bad as it could have been. I'm thankful that we had the opportunity to tell Andrew goodbye & that we loved him. And I'm thankful that he is no longer suffering.

5 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

I'm sorry about poor Andrew, but I'm sure he's happily chasing squirrels and butterflies and such wherever he is.

Gail said...

Remember All Dogs Go To Heaven.

Andrew is watching over you still.

Penny said...

i am so sorry about Andrew. I have a dog who will be 11 this year and I cannot imagine what I will do when he starts getting older and stuff. Glad the kids were able to say goodbye.

Staci said...

We have a 12-yr old lab who's not going to see another winter. We've had her longer than we've had the kids, and things are going to be maudlin (sp?) around here the day she goes.

Glad you wrote about it. Thank you.

Anita said...

I am so sorry to hear about Andrew. We know too well how it feels to lose a pet (family member). We will be thinking of you guys.

Aunt Anita