September 23, 2007

Children of the corn

We've had a busy weekend. Husband's cousin Keith (Aim High House in my sidebar), is home visiting from Japan. He's not been home in a year, and won't be back again until next September. Last night we had a cook out at Grandma's house for Keith & again today after church. He brought lots of candy for us all to try, and bubbles for the kids to play with. I must say, the Japanese have way cool bubble blowers. They aren't your typical circle on a stick. They're more like a straw & will blow 50+ bubbles with one dip of solution!

Last night, Husband was playing ball with the kids by Grandma's barn when I noticed #1 Son was no where around. He'd been seen going in the house, so I started looking. About that time SIL noticed Dill (her youngest) was also missing. We started hunting outside, to no avail. I have to admit the panic began to rise (it always does when I can't find a child). Husband came around the side of the house saying, "They're in the corn!" WHAT?!?!

Apparently #1 Son, Dill, & LF (all 4 year old boys) decided to explore the corn field. Luckily Husband realized what was going on, and made them come out. They were lingering at the edge of the field when I hollered, "You three better get your little behinds back up here, now!" Mean mom/aunt/cousin that I am.

Thank goodness harvest is upon us. I'm scared of cornfields!! Or rather, kids in cornfields.

5 comments:

Grace said...

I can remember stories of people getting lost in corn fields and dieing when I was a kid growing up in IL! Scarey!

Ragged Around the Edges said...

I'm afraid of them too.

And I swear one of the Children of the Corn rode the train with Jenny, Needlefingers and I.

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

I hate that panicky feeling! Have fun with your hubby's cousin while he is here. And blow some bubbles for me. :)

Lauren said...

I have a love/hate relationship with cornfields. I got bit by a tick when I was in 10th grade and had lyme disease. All because I was helping get corn husks for our class float for the homecoming parade.

I do want to go in one of those mazes sometime, though. But I'm paranoid of ticks now.

Kork said...

Can those microchips they put in pets be put in our kids??!?! Seriously...maybe there's something to be said for all those threats my folks made to nail my foot to the floor...
Glad the kidlets are ok, and hope that you have a great visit with Keith.