August 10, 2007

Baby Clothes/ Parisian Courtesans?

Last night B.B. and I were giving Bitsy her bath. I reached for her hooded towel and read (for the 800th time) "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" embroidered on it. The towel was BabyGirl's & I used it with both the boys as well, but for some reason last night something struck me. As I am inclined to burst into song occasionally, I began singing "Thank Heaven..." and B.B. quickly shot me down. "Don't sing that, Mommy!" This isn't unusual for him. And that's when it hit me as odd that that phrase is printed on so many baby girl items (we have it on towels, blankets, bibs, and such).

Yes, I do thank heaven for my little girls, but the song that phrase is drawn from isn't really something I'd like to have sung about my daughters.

Thank heaven for little girls
for little girls get bigger every day!
Thank heaven for little girls
they grow up in the most delightful way!
Those little eyes so helpless and appealing
one day will flash and send you crashin' thru the ceilin'...

While on the surface this seem sweet & a song about a little girl growing up...it's from a movie about a family of "kept women" and the youngest of them. Gigi.

"Weary of the conventions of Parisian society, a rich playboy and a youthful courtesan-in-training enjoy a platonic friendship, but it may not stay platonic for long." (Film overview from IMDB.com)

One day Gigi is a little girl in a plaid skirt playing in the park and taking "lessons" from her aunt, the next she's being propositioned by a man who's stood almost as an older brother for her through her childhood. It's more than a little on the creepy side.

I love the movie (I have the movie), but I'd really rather not people associate my babies with flashing eyes & growing up in a "most delightful way." It reeks of dirty old man.

Oddly enough I found the lyrics on a wedding song website listed under "Father Daughter dance." Gives me the heebie geebies.

4 comments:

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

That line of thought can relate to so many things. Many people don't take enough time to look into things fully before making an opinion on them. One of these issues is gun rights and laws. I have a very interesting post up about this on my blog entitled "He Has His Good Points."

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

Hey FW! I found you through a comment you left on someone else's blog. DOn't ask me which one cause I have been up for 18 hours and am going on about 5 hours of sleep. :) I was intrigued by your name so I clicked on over. Thanks for stopping by my place. And, yes, thank God for Ruck!

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

And about the BF'ing while typing: I do it ALL THE TIME. So the typos aren't from laziness or lack of education but rather from having on arm pinned down and the other reaching over a baby, trying not to wack them in the head while I click keys. :)

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

I almost always nurse laying down on my bed, which is where I almost always blog too.
(Just for those reading these comments: Farm Wife and I are commenting back and forth on each others blogs. I am not an insane freak leaving random tidbits, I promise!)