August 11, 2007

For the last time!! Pick up those toys!!

Why do they always have to dump every toy they own out in the floor? Really, is it easier to play when you can't find a single thing and there is absolutely no clear floor space left to play in? For the record, Mama, I am sorry and I do not blame you at all for packing up all our toys and storing them in Beulah's basement for an entire month. We so deserved it.


I've become much more sensitive to mess since Bitsy was born. I'm not what you'd call a neat freak (by any stretch of the imagination), but I cannot stand to have toys all over the house anymore. I'm not sure what changed, but the clutter suddenly makes me very anxious. I've gone on some pretty serious purges lately & that's not always good. I've gotten rid of a good part of my wardrobe, thrown out half the contents of my medicine cabinet & make-up drawer, pitched all the Happy Meal toys in the house, and have been eyeing my stem ware for the past 2 weeks (really, we NEVER use it). Someone may have to restrain me before I throw out something really important...like our tax returns or all Husband's socks or every item of dress up clothes the kids own.

I used to clean up the toys. I used to pick up their rooms. That stopped about half way through my pregnancy. Everyday they have to pick up their rooms. EVERYDAY. Nothing has changed. I do not do it (unless serious purging or organizing needs to take place). You'd think the knowledge that they are responsible for cleaning up their messes would be a deterrent to total destruction. Well, you'd think wrong.

Currently there is one garbage bag full of stuffed animals and the toy box that holds the majority of their toys living in my bedroom on an extended time out. The boys were told the toys won't be back until they learn to take care of what's left...can I just say they must be slow learners?

My new MO is the timer. They currently have one hour to clean up the mess before I'm in there with a trash bag. What ever is left out goes in my bag & becomes my property.

If #1 Son would spend half the time cleaning he spends crying to me that no one is helping him, he could clean the entire house top to bottom.

This heat needs to break so they can go outside. Well, at lest school starts next week. That will either leave me 3 hours of relative calm or will truly prove the older kids point that B.B. is responsible for every mess ever made. We'll see.

2 comments:

Mommy to 4 little people said...

OH I Soooooooo understand what you are going through. I think the change comes with that 4th baby (at least for me it did). I am no neat freak eighter but all of a sudden I am out numbered. And I feel like I can not purge the toys because each of the kids is a t different stage. We have baby toys, big boy toys, big girl toys, dolls, dress up stuff and the list goes on and on... I keep hoping it will get better. So here's to being in the ruts together:)

Queen Mother said...

Maybe you should revert back the early 19th century.

Laura and Mary only had one doll each and it worked well for them. Laura's was even made from corn cobs. Got any of those close to you???