May 26, 2007

Good Day & Memories of the Aunties

Yesterday was a good day. I had to go to the store, so Husband & the kids tagged along for the ride. Husband volunteered to take them to the playground down the road from Wal-Mart so I could shop in peace. They had a blast. He was off work yesterday so they spent the entire day outside chasing cats & goats, riding the 4 wheeler, and getting filthy dirty.


After we came in, cleaned up, and ate dinner, the rain started. It was a brief downpour followed by a decent shower...Husband and B.B. laid in front of the atrium door & watched the rain. That's when I got this picture:

The door looks out over Lilly May's dog run. It's the only place we ever let her out because she has a tendency to bolt. After a while I sat down next to them to ask B.B. what was going on. He turned to me and said, "Mommy, it's wainin' on all dat poop!" He was so concerned. Poor kid.


*********

The aunties (Busha's sisters) & my Great-Uncle Dee (their brother) headed home Friday from their visit with Busha. They had a good time. They always do. Their being here reminded me of some things I find rather funny...


First of all, my Aunt K is a librarian in Florida. She's married to QM's oldest brother (one of the twins), a preacher. Aunt K is kindhearted, funny, and soft spoken (at least compared to the rest of our family). About 2 years ago she sent a grocery bag full of books up with Busha for me to read. They were extras the library was giving away.


I was well into one book when I realized it was "one of those" books. It was only one of "those books" for one scene, but I kid you not, that scene was more than 15 pages long. I kept trying to skip the extremely steamy stuff to get to the actual plot, but it took a full chapter to get past. In all it was still a good book...it did have a real plot. When I finished it I called Busha and said (Jokingly), "The next time you talk to Aunt K, tell her I'm disappointed in her. I cannot believe an upstanding preacher's wife would send me smut like that to read." Busha laughed & later found out, Aunt K wasn't totally sure what all was in the bag, she just sent it all.
Busha told the Aunties this story. They are garage sale junkies & pick up lots of books at them. That summer when they came to visit (I was expecting B.B.), they brought me 2 large bags full of books to get me through the summer. As I pulled the first book out of the bag, I noticed it was sporting about 4 paper clips. Curious, I realized that quite a few of the books were sporting one or more paper clips. When I asked about them Auntie J said, "Oh, your grandma told me that you don't like 'those parts' so I marked them. That way you can skip over them." Auntie B immediately chimed in, "I didn't mark mine! I figured with 2 kids and one on the way, you know all about 'that stuff' so what's the point?!"
**********
When they came down last summer, #1 Son was packing around a green wooden space shuttle he & his dad had made from a kit. It was his prized possession. Uncle Dee wanted to see it and he and #1 Son began arguing about what it was called. Uncle Dee (who lived close to Houston & watched the space shuttles on a regular basis) said it was a space shuttle. #1 Son was insistent that it was a rocket ship. The argument lasted most of the afternoon one day. Uncle Dee loved picking at #1 Son & #1 Son wasn't about to give in.
When we were getting ready to leave, #1 Son turned to Busha and said, "Your boyfriend thinks this is something that it isn't! He doesn't know anything!"
That night at home he asked if we could go back over to Busha's so he could "fight with her boyfriend." It took quite a bit of explaining to convince him Uncle Dee was her brother and not her boyfriend.
When he found out they were here this week, he grabbed the space shuttle & said, "Let's go, Mommy. I have to tell that guy what this is!" He has quite a memory.
********
Finally, when we went to Bucka & Busha's this week to see the Aunties & Uncle Dee, B.B. made it as far as the kitchen table. He saw Auntie B setting there, turned, walked into the closet that holds the furnace & trash can, shut the door, & stayed there for 20 minutes....in the dark.
And #1 Son never did talk to Uncle Dee about the rocket.

2 comments:

needlefingers said...

Happy One-Month-'Til-Bitsy's-Arrival Day!

Anonymous said...

Stage fright for B.B.?LOL...Glad you had such a good visit...