December 29, 2006

Resume of a Flower Girl

As Miss Cate is preparing for her daughter's wedding, things have been traveling down the road of wedding advice on her blog. Much has come from Inkling (our newest bride) and a story I'd almost forgotten was brought up by Grace. So just travel back to last year around this time... or a few weeks later (OK, so I'm not sure on the time table).

Henry David was preparing to make his first trip to MO to meet Inkling's family. She planned on packing him all over the country side to meet everyone. We were on the list after a trip to G&G M&M's house. Unfortunately, premarital counseling was scheduled for that day, and we had to be skipped. Before we knew that, I was preparing my children to meet Henry David. Baby Girl wasn't too thrilled with the prospect of him coming to visit.

"Why is Inkling bringing Henry David to our house, Mommy?"
"Because he's her boyfriend and she wants us to meet him?"
"Why?"
"Because she loves him and they're going to get married. We're her family and she wants us to know him."
"They're getting married? When? Are we going to the wedding? Am I going to be their flower girl?"
"Yes, they're getting married. I'm not sure when. Yes, we're going to the wedding. And I don't know if you're the flower girl. Inkling has a lot of little girls in her life. She may already have a flower girl."
"Well, they should have me be the flower girl. I'm really good at it."
"I know, Sweetie, but it's Inkling and Henry David's decision. They get to pick their flower girl and you can't get upset if it isn't you."
"OK, Mommy, but will you tell them I'm really good at bein' a flower girl?"
"We'll see."

The next time Inkling and I talked I asked her who their flower girl was going to be. I wasn't fishing for the job. I just wanted to be able to get Baby Girl used to the idea of Grace's Bee being the flower girl (that was my assumption as to their choice). Inkling said they hadn't decided yet as they had so many candidates, but that Baby Girl would most definitely have a "job." She was thrilled with the prospect. Being in full Pre-K swing she informed me, "I'm really good at jobs, Mommy. I'm the door holder, and the line leader, and the calendar person, and the weather person at school. I could do that for Inkling. I even get to do those jobs if someone looses their job!" If you were put in time out in Pre-K part of that included loosing your job for the day. Baby Girl often picked up jobs that way.

I told Inkling she had a volunteer for line leader and door holder at the wedding and she loved it! Then QM suggested we send Inkling Baby Girl's resume. I sat down to Window's Word's Resume program and came up with a pretty good one for a 4 1/2 year old.

Objective: To help out at your wedding any way I can.
Education: Pre-K in Miss G's class @ WSGS. Sunday School in Aunt CB's class.
Intrests: Building Castles with Duplo blocks. Tormenting my brothers. Gardening with Daddy. Writing letters with the help of my trusty secretary. Etc.
Work Experience: Line leader, Door holder, calendar person, weather person, cleaning up my center, Cleaning up after snack
Hobbies: Playing Cindrella, coloring, helping Daddy on the farm, reading with Mommy, Playing wedding
References: Grammy & Pa, Busha and Bucka, Mommy & Daddy
Extra Curricular activities: I plan on being in 4-H when I'm old enough. I want to be in the 4th grade band. Some day I want to be a cheerleader. I go to VBS every year. And I attend Church parties regularly.
Summer Jobs: Cleaning my room. Watching my brothers. Washing my own hands. Helping Daddy with his chores.
Summary of Job Qualifications:
· Flower Girl (for Inkling's brother J.L.'s wedding the summer before). I was wary at first, but I knew I had a job to do. I put on my corsage and headed down that isle. No one was going to make me quit until I had emptied every flower from that basket!
· I play wedding on a regular basis. I have married my father and brothers many times over the past year. I have lots of practice with matrimonial affairs.

I would be happy with any position in which my qualifications would be of help to you.

She got the job and along with Bee and a Doll from Canada made up the most adorable troop of flower girls ever to be seen.

3 comments:

Grace said...

Thank you, that was great... I'd never actually seen the official resume!! Yes, they did make up an adorable little troop of flower girls, even if I was very immaturaly stewing about the third one from Canada stealing my kids' Sara Orange.

Nan said...

How very precious. You have got to give that a page in her scrapbook all by itself, and on the facing page...wedding pictures, of course. I think it's wonderful!

Lauren said...

adorable!!!!! i second cate's scrapbooking advice. of course, my wedding scrapbook is still... not.