February 23, 2012

You really don't want to eat that.

In order to work full time at the cafeteria at school (something I hope and pray is in my future), I need to be certified in Food Safety and Sanitation.  It's a 16 hour long class.  I go 2 days a week, 4 hours a night, for 2 weeks.  I'm half way through the course as I write this.  All I can say is that if you're looking for a way to prevent yourself from eating out with any regularity, take one of these classes.  The list of things that can kill you in a restaurant setting is longer than my arm.

We all know about Salmonella and Botulism, but have you ever hear of Hemorrhagic Colitis?  How about Bacillus Cereus?  And Vibrio Gastroenteritis?  Yeah, it's all nasty.  Most of them cause diarrhea and severe abdominal pain.  Listeria can actually cause miscarriage.

It's all a bit overwhelming and more than a bit disgusting.  Especially the lemons they put in your water or iced tea.  But then, the good Lord made our bodies to withstand amazing amounts of abuse and microorganisms.  I only hope he made my mind elastic enough to store all the information I'm going to have to recall for my certification exam on Wednesday.  Any prayers offered would be more than a little appreciated.

I did have 2 days of work this week.  Monday was President's Day and Tuesday, MJ, the cook I've been filling in for, decided to try out her wrist at work.  I called halfway through the school day to ask her a question & she said, "By the way, do you want to work this week?"  Apparently she'd come back a bit too soon.  She's supposed to be off work for 3 weeks but decided it would make her stir crazy to sit home all that time.

I've worked the past 2 days on top of going to my night class.  For a girl who's been a serious homebody for the past 10 years, this has been a massive change.  I'm not sure I've adjusted to it just yet.  Especially not being at work at 6:30 am after getting out of class at 9:50 pm the night before.  I've still got a lot of catching up to do.

But the good news is, I haven't had time to miss the satellite dish being disconnected. The one day I was going to have to sit & do nothing ended up being the day Husband, Bitsy, and I had to go pick up my text book and make a run to Menards so bored was not an option.

So if you're trying in vain to get in touch with me, you'll just have to wait.  I'm a career girl now.  Well, at least for the rest of this week.

No comments: