July 4, 2010

A Tisket, a Tasket...

I'm afraid I do not have a green & yellow basket. But I do have a new purse. And that makes me oddly happy.

I'm not the kind of girl who has 15 handbags stashed on a shelf in her closet. I do not match my bag to my shoes. I do not (normally) carry a cute clutch. I do not switch between my day purse and an evening bag.

I pack one purse around until it starts to come apart. I may swap out bags if we're taking a trip that requires more "luggage" than I normally carry, but for the most part, I have a monogamous relationship with my hand bag.

At Princess's baby shower for HT, Unkie Di gave me an adorable min-bag she made (in the style of Vera Bradley). I packed it until the fabric began to wear around the zipper. Then Husband got me a really cute apple green purse for my birthday last year. A few weeks ago, I realized the zipper pull is about to pull off and the bottom of the bag is getting a bit thin. Time for a new tote.

Friday, I finally found something I liked at Wal-Mart (yes, I know, I could find things much faster if I expanded my search, but Wal-Mart is just easier for us). It's bigger than the last few bags I've owned, but I rack that up to a graduation from the diaper bag. The first few post-diaper bags tend to lean toward the small side. It's kind of a celebration of Mommyhood; "I no longer have to pack around everything we own everywhere we go! I will now carry a purse roughly the size of a sandwich as opposed to the mid-sized suitcase I've packed around for the past 27 months."

But after a few years of tiny bags, I wanted something a bit more substantial....and I am amazed at how euphoric a new bag can make me. I've been scouring the house looking for things to toss in my purse. Wallet? Check. Zune? Check. Phone? Check. Snack? Check. Change of clothes? Check.

Wait, doesn't that mean I'm right back where I started? Crap. Might as well break out the diaper bag again.

No comments: