April 20, 2010

A FarmWife Original Meme

Please, play along. I'll cry if no one plays along. You can leave your answers here in my comments or on your own blog & spread the love. Please. Please. Please. I'm really nosey.

A Housework Meme Just for You.
  1. Do you have a daily cleaning routine? Me, not so much. I'm more of a do it as needed kind of girl. I do have to wash dishes & do laundry on a daily basis, but that's about it.
  2. Do you cook on a regular basis? I have to cook every day. Sometimes I love to cook. Sometimes it's a real struggle to get it done. Since we live in the country, we rarely eat out & when we do, it's fast food....so cooking must happen.
  3. Do you wear aprons? I do. Not always, but fairly often. Especially when doing dishes or cooking & especially when I've bothered to get dressed. I adore aprons. To me, they are like a uniform for the housewife. I asked this question specifically because Needlefingers sent me the most beautiful apron in the mail. It was a wonderful surprise & has made my day & inspired this meme. I'll post pictures sometime.
  4. Do you make beds on a regular basis? As much as I hate to admit this, knowing it may get back to my Grandma M&M, no. I do not. Unless of course we're expecting company or it's time to strip beds. I love to peek into bedrooms & see the beds neatly made, but our mornings are too hectic to fit in more chores. By the time the kids get out the door, I'm usually worn out for a good little bit. And the Husband usually goes right back to bed after dropping the kids off, so I don't see the point.
  5. Not truly a house work question, but it will still fit: What do you call the three meals you eat a day? The reason I ask this is because Husband & I have an ongoing (for years & years & years) debate. I eat Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. He eats Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper. The FarmHands vote with me (mostly because they want to eat the meals & if you disagree with Mama, eating doesn't happen....OK, I'm joking, don't call the authorities).
  6. How many loads of laundry do you wash in a week? Kork & I had this conversation a few years ago. I wash at least one load of towels every day. Lately I wash one load of clothing a day as well. If you add 2-3 loads of sheets to the 14 loads a week I've already counted, that puts me around 17 loads a week. Anyone want to trade?
  7. What is your least favorite chore? Probably dusting. This one changes for me. A few months will go by when I cannot stand to mop. I'll have weeks when the thought of folding laundry makes me crazy. But right now, it's dusting. It doesn't seem to do any good. As soon as I'm finished, I have to start all over again.
  8. What's your favorite chore? I know this one is going to sound strange, but I really like cleaning the bathroom. I should do it more. It's so refreshing to me to walk into a sparkling clean bathroom. It's a bit of instant gratification for me. Gross, but satisfying.
  9. Do you keep a company ready house (or attempt to) or go for that comfortably lived in look or could you be on your own Hoaring: Buried Alive episode on TLC? Mine is that comfortable lived in look I've compared to your favorite blue jeans. Rarely spotless, but rarely completely trashed. Of course when I say rarely, that means it is occasionally completely trashed.
  10. I once heard on the radio that 90% of women clean house like their mothers. Do you? Yes. My mother may not agree with this, but it's still the case. I clean our house the way my mother cleaned hers. I wash dishes in the same way my mom taught me with the exception of the dishwasher I have that she doesn't and the fact that I rinse my dishes one at a time instead of running a sink of rinse water. I fold my towels differently, but that's because my cabinet is a different size. I fold clothes the same way she taught me. I scrub bathtubs the way she taught me. I make beds the way she taught me (when I bother to do it). Mirror, mirror on the wall, I am my mother, after all.
  11. (For the mothers out there) Do you expect your children to help out around the house? To what extent? This is one I'm working on. Most of the time, it's easier just to do it myself. They are expected to pick up their bed rooms & put away their laundry (dirty & clean). They often hear the phrase, "Is it Kid Clean or Mom Clean?" I'm trying to add to their responsibilities a little at a time without overwhelming them. BabyGirl & #1 Son have very little time at home, so once homework is done, I don't want to load them up with chores. BabyGirl likes to vacuum, so I let her. Bitsy loves to help unload the dishwasher & sort laundry. #1 Son is my gopher. He fetches & carries for me. They all have to pitch in with the animals sometimes & help with yard work when I need it.

So? How about you?

5 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

Do you have a daily cleaning routine? No. I will sometimes pick up before I go to bed, but not always.

Do you cook on a regular basis? If, by regularly, you mean weekly, then yes. I do not cook daily. Lots of days, we just heat up leftovers, or have sandwiches or quesadillas.

Do you wear aprons? I don't think I've ever worn an apron.

Do you make beds on a regular basis? I'm not the last one up, so I rarely make the bed. My daughter's bed rarely gets made (except on sheet changing day), but we still try to get her to nap, so it's kind of pointless. The guest room bed is always made!

Not truly a house work question, but it will still fit: What do you call the three meals you eat a day? Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. (My daughter eats breakfast, lunch, and lunch. My husband eats breakfast, lunch, and supper)

How many loads of laundry do you wash in a week? I don't currently do laundry, but it's usually in the 3-5 loads/week range.

What is your least favorite chore? Dusting. Because I can see those little dust motes hanging in the air, waiting for me to go away so they can settle back to their original position. Second: putting away laundry.

What's your favorite chore? Washing dishes or vacuuming. I don't mind either of those.

Do you keep a company ready house (or attempt to) or go for that comfortably lived in look or could you be on your own Hoaring: Buried Alive episode on TLC? Comfortably lived in, I guess. But some people consider it company ready.

I once heard on the radio that 90% of women clean house like their mothers. Do you? No, as I don't have 4 children to delegate to. :) Also, my sisters were cleaning the house by the time I was learning, so I kind of developed my own style.

(For the mothers out there) Do you expect your children to help out around the house? To what extent? Somewhat - my girl is 3, so her chores are limited to picking up her toys when I ask. She will sweep and vacuum for me, too (not that I don't have to go back and do it all again, but she helps).

Aimee said...

My answers are here:

http://wvgurl.blogspot.com/2010/04/house-work-meme.html

Aimee said...

Thanks for stopping by my place!

I responded to you over there. :-)

Farmer's Wife said...

My Answers are here:

www.lifeonafarminfannybay.blogspot.com/

zann said...

So I'm doing my weekly catch up of reading blogs and this is so much fun I'm actually going to post to my old blog. In case you've forgotten it's zannhu.blogspot.com