October 10, 2009

What do you do when you'be been betrayed?




Specifically, what do you do when you've been betrayed by your allergy medicine? Do you break up? Decide you're better off as Just Friends? Get counseling? Scream & curse until it feels as badly about the mess as you do? Get drunk with your best girl friend & talk about how pathetically useless your allergy medicine is?

Once upon a time I was a Benadryl girl. I'm not sure it ever really gave me relief, but boy did I sleep good...as long as I didn't take too much. If I over did it, I'd spend the nights pacing the floor, sniffling, and wishing I'd been more careful.

After Husband & I were married, I had the allergy attack to end all allergy attacks. It resulted in a round of steroids and scripts for Flonase & Claratin (remember way back when you couldn't get it OTC?). QM warned me against the steroids, but that was a hot & fast love affair. I could do anything as long as I still had a box of tissues close at hand. I still sniffed & snuffed, but I was up for hopping in a less-than-sea-worthy little boat & allowing Husband to row us out to the middle of a slimy little pond when the water couldn't have been much more than 50 degrees. Those steroids made me feel good (Please, don't think I'm advocating 'roid use!! No, no, no...I'm a Just Say No generation girl....avoid the 'roid, y'all!), and the Claratin knocked my hay fever flat on it's itchy behind.

After a few years, my love affair with Claratin dimmed a bit. After it sold out & went OTC, it still helped out a bit, but it wasn't the passionate advocate for my nasal health it once had been. Claratin became a fair weather friend. I wasn't happy. I wondered if it loved me less because it was suddenly being loved by others.

And then...then...then...along came Zyrtec. Ah, Zyrtech. The love of my allergy driven life, OTC or not. We were soul mates. At the first sign of itching, sneezing, or stuffiness, I'd run for my medicine cabinet where Zyrtech waited in it's blister pouch of bliss. I'd pop one in my mouth, then run off to meet the day. Without fail, relief was on it's way. The honeymoon was a long one....or so I thought.

Recently I've begun to have my doubts. It doesn't seem as happy to see me as it once did. The relief is slower coming. Some days, like today for example, the relief never truly gets here.

So I ask, is my allergy medicine over me? Should I fight for it, or move on? What's a sneezing girl to do?

3 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

Ah, they all do that. Sooner or later, it's completely ineffectual or you get a raging sinus infection. Just find a new love and move on!

Aimee said...

I understand what you mean about the steriods. I'm on my second round of them for pleurisy.

Queen Mother said...

Just stop buying OTC. Put that money in the beach account.

We will have a greater time because there will be more money.