July 30, 2009

Yes, we know exactly what causes this.

A few weeks ago, we were heading to the van after our weekly grocery run when BabyGirl turned to me & said, "Mommy, why do people think 4 kids is a lot of kids?" I told her I really didn't know. Maybe because most people only have 1 or 2 kids. But I told her I don't think 4 kids is a lot of kids. I think 4 kids is the exact right amount for our family. I can't imagine us without one of our kids, so 4 never seems too many to me.

Yes, there are days when the chaos gets a bit overwhelming. Yes, there are days when I feel like I'm going to pull my hair out trying to corral all 4 of them. Yes, there are days when I am vastly outnumbered, but which one do you think I should give up to relieve myself of the pressure? BabyGirl? Our funny mother hen, the boss, the immensely creative, deeply feeling oldest? Or how about #1 Son? My sensitive, caring, helpful, eager to please, eager to learn second child? No, wait, definitely B.B. Our wild, fearless, 90 to nothing all day long, hysterically funny ball of energy & love. Then again, maybe Bitsy. Our cuddly, talkative, sweet natured, possessive beam of sunshine. You pick, because I can't.

When I was pregnant with...well...everyone except BabyGirl, people would constantly nod at my belly & ask, "Don't you know what causes that?" followed by raucous laughter. Um. What? It was one thing to hear it jokingly from my uncles who love us & love our babies, it's another thing to hear it from complete strangers at the grocery.

But 2 or 3 weeks ago was the jaw dropping comment that I will never forget. Husband & I were leaving Wal-Mart tugging our 2 carts full of groceries & necessities all 4 rather excited FarmHands in tow, when a man started chatting with Husband. I thought it was someone from work because of his familiar tone. He asked if they were all ours (something we hear a lot), then asked their ages. Husband rattled off our 8-6-4 & 2 that will be the case until September when B.B. turns 5, and kept walking. The man told me they were cute & I said thanks. Nothing, so far, was really different from the comments we get every time we take the kids out. Then he dropped his voice & leaned in closer to me so only I could hear his next remark.

"He must keep you busy," with a gesture towards Husband. I froze. I mumbled a weak, terse, obviously forced, one syllable laugh and sped up. He kept walking with us. I tried to get my cart closer to Husband's, but he didn't realize anything was wrong. After a tense moment the man said, "Sorry. I was just trying to make conversation," to which I replied, "Um. OK," and turned away. He (finally) picked up his cue & walked away.

Did I miss the new rules of etiquette that make it OK to comment on the sex life of total strangers in Wal-Mart's vestibule? When we got to the van I told Husband what the man said & he looked at me oddly. At first, he didn't understand the innuendo...but he caught up to speed pretty quickly.

At the time, I was too stunned to turn to the man & say, "Excuse me? What did you just say about my husband?!" But I don't think we're ever really prepared for that kind of thing.

9 comments:

Kork said...

Why is it that total strangers feel it is acceptable to foist their opinions on people? I really don't get it...

We have had enough comments, starting with baby #1 about "what causes that" and "isn't the practice half the fun?"

UGH!

We haven't told a whole heap of folks about #3 yet simply because I will snap if someone says something like to me...family or not!

Kork said...

PS - I now have "Oh Where Is My Hairbrush" and "...and I will L-I-V-E E-T-E-R-N-A-L-L-Y!" resounding in my head...thanks for that.

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

I SOOOO feel you on this one.
There is the line, crazy people! Quit crossing it!

Unknown said...

Some people are just very rude, ignorant and revolting.You showed dignity to ignore him and be polite - horrid man. S

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

I think I'd have been inclined to ask him how busy he keeps his wife.

Penny said...

I dont understand...never in all my days would I even think of making any comment about a family of any size except to say that they are truly blessed!!! Dont these people know that each child is a gift from God and a truly amazing mircale!!!!

Inkling said...

I still think my comment to you over the phone is the most effective. I'd type it here, but then we'd be in trouble for eternity. =)

Vicki said...

I just had to laugh about this. Some people have no class. Hmm... I am gonna drop my kids off for the afternoon with you and let you take all 7 of them to Wal Mart and see if someone wants to give you a reality show. LOL!

Unknown said...

aren't some people amazing? amazingly stupid-you just gotta know that the idiot has to live with himself and hopefully no body else lives with mr. ignorant!
http://randommusingsfrommypov.com