March 22, 2008

FarmWife in Real Life

Many, many things today. I'm rocking out to Electric Mayhem at the moment. The kids are getting their first full taste of The Muppet Movie. Muppets rock! If you disagree, please keep it to yourself as I don't want to have to stop liking you. I may have to kick my Husband out of the house over his dislike of all things Jim Henson.

Secondly, the reason we now have not only The Muppet Movie but also The Great Muppet Caper is because Daddy came to visit yesterday bearing gifts. I now have a copy of the Maker's Diet (we're considering going GFCF with BabyGirl), 5 bottles of Bath & Body Works hand soaps in Kitchen Lemon & Japanese Cherry Blossom along with Cherry Blossom body wash, lotion, and body spray, muscle shirts for the boys that say, "Have Pickup will Travel. Honk if you love trucks," new swimsuits for the girls, foam Christmas ornament kits, and enough batteries to power every toy the kids own for about 6 months. Grammy sent the batteries for Easter. You'd have thought she sent gold bullion the way the kids reacted. Now I can't say, "Sorry guys, no batteries. You'll just have to put the (fill in with noisy toy of your choice here) in the cabinet."

Daddy called me Thursday & asked if we wanted company. Since Art & QM are getting ready to head to Florida, he decided to come up to visit with us & spend Easter with G'ma & G'pa M&M. He got here yesterday afternoon...and Bitsy laid it on thick. Someone must have tipped her off as to how easy it would be for her to wrap her Pa around her little finger. He came in the house & she went right to him. Then she started passing out kisses. She'd kiss him, then reach for me. I'd take her back & she'd immediately lunge for him again & give him more kisses. Then she'd smile at him & bat her eyes. Shameless, that girl!

Daddy took BabyGirl with him into the men's shop in town to get a new suit. He's lost more than 30 pounds over the past year or so, so he was in desperate need of it. We've been going there for suits & dress clothes since I moved up here. Daddy buys most of his suits when he comes up here to visit, Uncle Gick & Bucka frequent there as well. The people that work there are fabulous. Every time I go in they ask about the entire family. They're so kind & really take the time to know their customers. We love them. Especially Mr.Jack.

When they got home, Daddy had a new sports coat & slacks, a belt, tie & shirt. BabyGirl had helped him pick it all out. She even told him when a shirt he had didn't coordinate well with the new coat.

Last night I asked her if she liked Mr.Jack. "Yes, Mom. He's really nice. He said I have a good color eye!" It took me a minute..."Oh, you mean you have good eye for color?" "Yeah, that's what he said. I have a good eye for color. He said I can come work there someday if I want. I think I'll do it. It's fun, Mom. I can tell people if the clothes look good on them. And if they don't I'll just say, 'No, go take that off now!'" Move over Stacey London. Here comes BabyGirl FarmHand. She'll steal Clinton Kelly away from you & never look back.

Then she & Pa picked up pizza for us all. That's Pa's job...to get pizza from Casey's when he comes to visit.

Husband and I watched Dan in Real Life last night. Sweet little movie. I love Steve Carell. He's so awkward and endearing and hysterical. BabyGirl was watching it with us during her attempt to avoid bed time. As Dane Cook & Steve Carell sang Let My Love Open the Door, I couldn't help but sing quietly along. After the first chorus I heard this tiny voice near my shoulder singing, "Let my love.....let my love.....let my love." I love that girl.

Husband and I were laying in bed with BabyGirl last night trying to get her to sleep...to no avail. Husband is worse than the kids. He was joking & playing with her & carrying on. I had to threaten him with bodily harm to get them to settle down. I had been trying to get BabyGirl to sing I am the Walrus with me earlier in the night & she wouldn't do it. "Oh, Mom (said in that exasperated way only teenagers should be able to say it). Not that song." As we were laying in bed I whispered, "I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus," and I heard her whisper into her pillow, "Goo goo g'joob g'goo goo g'joob. Goo goo g'joob g'goo goo g'joob g'goo."

That's my girl.

Today Husband is putting the back mud flaps (now called splash guards) on his precious truck. Yesterday it was the front splash guards & reese hitch. No, still haven't ridden in it or driven it (see post below & get in on the pot).

I have to dig out BabyGirl's first Easter dress to see if it fits Bitsy, get the big kids Easter clothes out, cleaned, and ironed, iron my dress & find a bra that will work with it, wash the plastic eggs & stuff them with candy, and dig out all of Bitsy's tiny baby clothes for a new baby at church. Nothing like waiting until the last minute to get ready for the holiday. But then my motto is Never hesitate to procrastinate.

And my poor kids aren't getting Easter baskets full of junk this year. I decided instead to get each of them a t-shirt. They really didn't need anything else. BabyGirl picked hers out yesterday. It's dark pink with rhinestones...fabulous! #1 Son's is green with tools on it & it says, "Daddy's Big Helper (will work for cookies)." B.B.'s is orange & says, "My parents are exhausted." Bitsy gets nothing. Poor baby...not that she'll notice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the sweetest post! Makes me want to come visit. Your Dad sounds great too.

Lauren said...

I've been meaning to tell you to click on the Ode De Trio link on my blog... Sunny has switched her kids' diets and shared her experience a while back.

Queen Mother said...

give grand ma and unkie di each a bottle of Kitchen Lemon.

a tiny bit goes a long way

Ragged Around the Edges said...

A dad that comes carrying gifts and love for your children. . . what a wonderful gift in itself.