April 12, 2007

New Critters

Yesterday was a sad day on the farm. Bluebell (one of our goats) had her first baby sometime late Monday/early Tuesday. The poor baby must have gotten too cold or her mama didn't quite know what to do with her because she wasn't breathing well and was nearly ice cold when Husband found her yesterday morning. He brought her inside and we wrapped her in warm towels to try to get her up and going. Husband gave her a dose of penicillin and I gave her some electrolytes, but it was in vain. She was too far gone. She was a sweet little thing who looked just like her mama.

Today has been much happier. Husband and #1 Son headed out early to a local dairy farm to pick up two bull calves we'd put an "order" in for a few weeks ago. We now have two Jersey bottle calves living in Fort Farmhand until it warms up a bit, then they'll move into the goat pen. They are the prettiest little boys! I've always had a soft spot for Jerseys...after all, Anne of Green Gables' cow, Dolly, was a Jersey. Now we just have to pick names for them. If we keep with the Disney Princess theme and name them after the princes, my votes are for Phillip and...oh shoot, I can't remember Cinderella's Prince Charming's name. How can I forget that?! Oh well. I should probably note that the last bottle calves we got, I named Porter and T-Bone...just to keep things in perspective.


And just as Husband and #1 Son were returning with the calves, the mail man pulled into my drive (he only does that if I have a package). There was a little box from Zann! She made name plates for all 3 of the kids. They are so sweet! She posted one she made for a friend on Nudge-Nudge a few weeks back. These are similar. Each one is specific to one of my kids. BabyGirl's is pink and princess themed, #1 Son's is farm themed, and B.B.'s is covered in vehicles (he loves anything that goes). She's promised one for Bitsy as soon as she makes her arrival. I cannot wait! I'd post pictures, but the main feature are the kids' names and that's a no-no. They also have their birth dates, times, and sizes they were as newborns. Trust me, they are adorable!! I cannot wait to hang them.
Laundry is being washed. The house has stayed pretty clean. Tonight I have to pack after a quick trip to Busha and Bucka's to borrow a garment bag and their cell phone (no, I do not have a cell phone...maybe someday...maybe not. But I do like to have one to take on long trips). In the morning we're off to the realm of the Queen Mother, Art the Omnipotent, and Did. I'm excited. I hope I can sleep tonight (I usually can't...nerves). So I may not have time to post much this weekend. I hope you all have a good weekend and I'll try to get some pictures to share when I get home!
Edited to add: I've just discovered why I can't remember Cinderella's Prince Charming's name...he didn't have one. Neither did Snow White's. Only Sleeping Beauty's had a name...and people want to say those movies are chauvinistic. The men have no names!! What does that say to you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a great time at the wedding. Sorry about losing one of the farmbabies and happy you are gaining new ones.

Have Fun!!
hugs