March 23, 2006

Elizabethtown

Last night I watched Elizabethtown at Art the Omnipotent's prodding. Actually Uncle E's girls rented it and Uncle E brought it over for me when they were done. That's how I see most movies...He also brought In Her Shoes and Just Like Heaven. I'm half way through the latter and so far it's really cute.

At anyrate, Art has been on me for a couple of weeks to watch E-town, but I wasn't too sure. The previews left me feeling pretty uninterested. She assured me it was well worth it. She was right. I loved it! I highly suggest it. It was very different, not at all what I expected. I'm not a huge Kristin Dunst fan, something about the way she talks tends to irritate me. But I adored her in this. And Orlando Bloom (who can do little wrong in my eyes) was superb.

Art and I do not always agree on movies. Moulin Rouge was one. She adored it, loved it, was totally obsessed with it. I was confused by it (I understood the movie, but it still left me feeling seriously confused every time I watched it). My friend Squeegee (a high school nick-name) said it best when I asked his opinion on it. This is a paraphrase, but you get the picture: It was beautiful and horrible. It was wonderful and hectic and made me a little nauseous. I loved it and I hated it.

And I know there are movies that I have loved and she has not. I think Chicago was one. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember her being lukewarm about it. I could watch it every day. But that's OK. She's my best friend. If we agreed on everything, we'd have nothing to argue about! And what fun would that be?

Aurora and Luke are moving back out today. The weather is improving (not drastically, but it's getting there), and I'm on the verge of a nervous break down. My house is not large enough for 2 Great Dane pups in full romp mode. Aurora keeps clothes-lining herself on the kitchen gate. Luke is going to eat my kitchen table... Not the food on it, the actual table. And what is the point of living on 10 acres if your dogs can't romp around it instead of around your living room! Am I fickle? Maybe. But I think they'll be happier, and I won't be homicidal. So it's all good.

2 comments:

zann said...

I've been wanting to see that. It has Paula Deen in it - how could it not be good! (yes even though I'm not much of a cook I'm a huge fan of the Food Network).
I was a bit indifferent toward Moulin Rouge - I believe your friend Squeegee was dead-on with his description. It was one much like "What Dreams May Come", it was visually pleasing - absolutely beautiful to the eyes, but had a distinct contrast with the story - which was sad and rather heart-breaking. I liked the music in it though. Love the music in Chicago too... but didn't really like watching it performed. I had heard the soundtrack before ever seeing the movie - so much like with books - they didn't fit my imagination and therefore I didn't like it as well.

I'm sure the puppies will have a high time outside. And on a farm I'm certain you have nice sheltered areas that they can get to if it turns cold again. I'm guess straw abounds on farms.

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Being a Kentucky resident and native, I so enjoyed Elizabethtown. I also loved the message and the music.