February 22, 2006

Can Crumpets Cure Loneliness?

Crumpets

3 Cups Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
2 Tablespoons Sugar or Honey (I've never used honey, but might try it tonight)
2 Tablespoons Butter or Margarine, softened
1 Egg, beaten
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 Cups of Milk
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar or honey, and butter. In another bowl combine 1 1/2 Cups of milk and the egg. You can add more milk if the batter is too thick. It's a matter of taste. These cook up just like pancakes. Melt a little butter on a hot skillet. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter for each crumpet. Flip when the edges are dry (they won't bubble as much as pancakes).

If you've never has crumpets they resemble a very dense pancake. They're less sweet and go very well with a little butter and jam. I'm not sure if it's proper tea party etiquette, but I eat them with my fingers (like a biscuit or toast). They're very good and easy to make (you could handle them, Ragged).

Needlefingers has invited me to a little knitting "hoohah" next weekend. I think I may go if I can sneak away for a few hours. By that time I may have to sneak away for a long time!

The idea of house breaking 2 gangly Dane pups while still wrangling my own brood is pretty daunting. I'm beginning to wonder if we've lost our minds. The worst of it is that I'm on my own most of the day. Husband gets his chores done just in time to come in for lunch and a shower most days. Then he heads off to work leaving me to manage our ever growing household. I'm beginning to feel a little overwhelmed. Mostly because the last few weeks have been a little tougher than normal.

Baby Girl was having trouble going anywhere (she's getting a little better, but it's still a struggle to get her out the door). Then she had strep throat. I weaned B.B. and had to deal with the pain and sleeplessness involved with that. And now, Baby Girl is ill again and we're getting up many times a night with Aurora. #1 Son has had a major case of the Grumpies the past week or so. He seems to be getting back to his old self, but it's been tough. He's my "happy child." And to top it all off, we've had 2 litters of piglets and may loose the first sow (Bacon). She's not been doing well since she had her piglets and Husband is beginning to think she might not make it (incidentally she sat on another piglet this week. She's down to 8, but the other 11 are doing fine). If we loose her we stand the chance of loosing her piglets. I do not relish the thought of having to bottle feed 8 piglets on top of everything else. They may have to cart me off to the Looney bin.

My one hope is that Aurora will sleep better when she has Luke to cuddle down with at night. He'll be here Saturday as long as the vet gives TGDL the go ahead.

All of this is making me feel a little lonely. How can I be lonely when I don't have time to go to the bathroom alone you might ask. I'm not sure. Maybe it's the time of year (winter is never good for me). Maybe it's the added stress. Maybe it's the fact that most of the people I communicate with, I never lay eyes on. I'm feeling very isolated at the moment. It's never been easy for me to make friends. Most people would never know it, but I'm painfully insecure and therefore very shy.

Once upon a time I was a social butterfly. I had a million friends and never had a night to myself. Most of that stemmed from the fact that high schoolers and college students travel in packs. I never had to maintain friendships (except for a very special few) on my own. And now those special few live very far away.

I read parenting magazines that talk about the isolation felt by stay-at-home-moms (or SAHM's as I've recently seen them called). They suggest joining a Mommy and Me group or hanging out in the park to make friends with other new moms. That's great if you live in a town that offers these things. I live in the middle of nowhere. My only contact with the outside world is church (made up almost entirely of Husband's family), neighbors (made up entirely of Husband's family), and my grandparents and Aunt and Uncle. I'm very thankful that I have that support, but sometimes it would be nice to have hang out with someone I'm not related to.

I really should quit complaining and go to this hoohah with Needlefingers. I could even invite the one mother at church who isn't related to me to come over some time. Our kids could play. We could have a cup of tea and some crumpets.

9 comments:

Inkling said...

go to the hoohah with Needlefingers; have one of the those relatives babysit your brood; and if you end up in the Loony bin,please make sure to tell them to send you to Canada.....that way we can hang out and I can introduce you to a bunch of other loonies you'd really like......on another note....I've been thinking that Baby Girl's penchant for staying home might be leading her to be a monk or a nun.....you're not Catholic, but I hear they are always on the lookout for people to join their ranks, so they might just let her in, protestant-ness and all

Dana Glover said...

See, I'm back already. Reading this post was like hearing a conversation I have with myself on a daily basis now (except for the piglets part!). I'm also having a difficult time combating the SAHM Lonelies and I'm not that good at making friends. I do meet moms when I take CJ to a couple of his classes/camps but I always feel like I'm an outsider because we live out in the country and well ... I'm not Miss Suburbia (only because I can't talk my hubby into it!). Even at our church I haven't really found someone I can relate to yet and the only hoohah I've been invited to is a Mary Kay makeover party because the lady said "You could use a makeover, you know that!?" Okay ... zipping my mouth shut and putting mittens on my fingers ...

Art the Omnipotent said...

I'm sorry dear. I feel your pain. I tried but evil farmer intervened. I'll come see you as soon as I see the green light. Will bring food and kids. Will laugh and have fun. Love you.

emily said...

Ok, I just got approached by a Mary Kay lady in the grocery store with a similar line. What's up with that? I know she's just trying to make some money, but telling the mom dragging her screaming kids through the store that she looks like she needs a makeover is just wrong.

I understand about the SAHM lonlies. I've tried getting out and about but it's tough. And I don't want to be friends with someone just because they've got kids. I feel weird about trying the church route because we attend the catholic church and I'm not catholic. I'd feel like a fake if I went to the Catholic Moms group. Thank goodness for y'all.

needlefingers said...

Pilot and I need to come visit you! Because we live so far away, you know.

And you should definitely come to the hoohah. Then who knows to what other corruption we'll lead you.

SAHM always makes me think of Samhain. I know you'll get a hoot out of that one. ;)

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Go to the hoohah. . .what's it gonna hurt?

I think sometimes loneliness isn't about whether you are surrounded by people, it's about being surrounded by people that get you and that you get.

So, go with Needlefingers, have fun.

Nan said...

I'm a SAHN. That's stay-at-home-nana, and it sounds like about the same thing. I get to craving adult company so badly sometimes. No, Hub (SAHP) doesn't count.

I've lost touch with just about everyone since I retired. I'm going to force myself to go to a high school get-together tomorrow night for our former music teacher to see if I can come away with a reestablished friendship or two. I dread it though.

Farm Fairy & Bruno said...

Hi sweetie...wish you could come out and play in the pouring rain with me, we'de have to go get you chickie boots then we could stomp around in the mud... Then we would stop for tea and scones...

Sarah said...

I hear ya... I live in the boonies as well... In the spring/summer, it's fine - most of my neighbors (yeah, I have neighbors, so it's not entirely boonies) are out and about - in the winter, it's like everyone is in isolation. I signed The Princess up for a class, hoping to meet people - instead, just met Smug Moms. No fun. We go to storytime at the library, and didn't meet anyone there either... So, for the time being, I'm just being a loner too. It stinks.