January 7, 2006

The Butt Crack of Dawn

Don't tell my mom I'm still using that phrase. She never appreciated it. I think it's appropriate, especially since I've never been anything close to a morning girl. I'm more of a mid afternoon girl. But since #2 Son has given up sleep for Lent, here I am, awaiting the sunrise and watching Blue's Clues for the first time today! Someone should tell him Lent's a few months away, oh, and we aren't' Catholic!
Not that that would matter. #1 Son once gave up sleep for Yom Kippur and we aren't Jewish either. That's when I began to wonder if he was. I asked my cousin Inkling how to tell if my baby was secretly Jewish and she said to check and see if he'd been circumcised. I guess that's a pretty sure way to tell.
I think my mom would be thrilled to find out she has a Jewish grandchild. She's harbored a slight obsession with Judaism for the past 10 years.
It's strange how little I knew about the faith that birthed my own until Mamma started studying it. It's fascinating and I think Christians in general would get a much better grip on the New Testament if the studied the Old through Jewish colored glasses.
I heard American Music by the Violent Femmes on my XM radio last night. I love my XM radio. It brought back lots of memories. But most of all, it reminded me of my two best friends (Did and Art) singing "I like Japanese Food" while roaming the grocery at 3 am. "I ate too much Wasabi, did you eat too much Wasabi?"
Art has a great talent for rewriting songs. She's like a southern, female Weird Al. Only much cuter! Pearl Jam being her favorite inspiration. "Charity smoked in class today."
Husband just came creeping out of his room to get #1 Son a sippy cup and asked what I was doing. He must think I've lost my ever lovin' mind! Up, typing away at the butt crack of dawn... wait, no, before the butt crack of dawn. It's still a good 30 minutes away.
You know I'm not sure I ever really saw a sunrise before Baby Girl was born. Now I'm rather familiar with them. The Creator sure knows what he's doing!
Baby Girl and #1 Son were playing in my room the other day when he came out screaming that he'd been bitten. She was hot on his heels to explain. "My teeth didn't watch where they were going!" Oddly enough, her hand had the same problem a few minutes later. I had to step out an let Husband handle that one. You aren't supposed to laugh when correcting misbehavior (that sounds nicer than "screaming at your kids").