July 27, 2014

Bringing Balance to the Force

You may or may not know that I am a bit of a geek.

I grew up on Star Wars and Indiana Jones. I love Lord of the Rings in all its forms (yes, even the Peter Jackson monstrosities). I could talk for hours about the fact that Firefly can never come back now that ____ and ____ are dead (spoilers, sweeties). I can Netflix the heck out of a season of Doctor Who, Supernatural, The IT Crowd, Heroes (except for that hot mess of a third season), and Torchwood. I get goosebumps when LEGO comes out with a new geek themed set. I have a stance on the whole DC vs Marvel thing (normally I find myself firmly in the Marvel camp, but I can't miss out on a good Batman movie, and Wonder Woman is my tattoo of choice). I could spend exorbitant amounts of money at ThinkGeek.com and have an entire Pinterest page devoted to all things geekery. I can discuss the finer points of the Governor's psychosis and theories on Terminus while tweeting about Phineas and Ferb's Star Wars crossover episode. And that's without even scratching the surface of my John Hughes 80's film obsession.

But Husband? He's another story. A much simpler story.

You see, Husband is not a geek. Not even a little bit.

In fact, he'd never seen Star Wars until we were engaged. He can't sing along with School House Rocks. When I yell, "HEY YOU GUYS!" I'm never sure if he thinks I'm quoting The Goonies (which he has seen) or The Electric Company (which he hasn't seen). He falls asleep every time Doctor Who comes on. He leaves the room when we start quoting The Princess Bride. Last week he asked me if Monty Python and the Holy Grail was suitable for the children (to which I answered, "Wellllll.......for the most part......if you skip the entire Castle Anthrax scene," from the kitchen as I loaded the dishwasher).

The cause is not entirely hopeless. Like all red blooded American men he does enjoy a good superhero movie, but our taste in superhero movies varies greatly. He'll go see The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings with us, but has no interest in my rantings about why Jackson felt the need to drag The Hobbit out into 3 movies but leave Tom Bombadil out of  Fellowship entirely.

I don't think he understands how deep my love of Han Solo goes but when we had one of our last date nights he did agree that buying Cowboys & Aliens was a better move than picking up some rom-com. We will never go to SDCC together (even if it is on my bucket list) but he doesn't balk at my indoctrination of our children.

And the FarmHands? They run and play in the woods all day with their donkeys and horses and chickens.....but someone's always The Doctor, or a Stormtrooper, or Wolverine. I think it's a good compromise.

No comments: