August 11, 2013

Down on the Farm

It's been a really long time since I posted any pictures of the farm. Yesterday I decided to grab the camera and snap a few shots to share.

 These are our newest critters. They're twin Boer goats named Ed and Edna after Husband's twin aunt and uncle. Edna is the goat in the front. She's not remotely camera shy. Ed, on the other hand, would rather not be bothered by the paparazzi.

 Husband and Bitsy planted a bunch of sunflowers early this summer. This is the first one to have bloomed.
 The only reason we still have apples on our trees at all is because Bitsy and B.B. can't reach them. They've already stripped the golden delicious tree completely bare. I tried to convince them that they'd taste better if they were actually ripe, but what do I know? I'm just the mom.

 Bitsy wants her picture taken constantly. It took some convincing to get her to turn her face away from the camera. I'm not sure you can tell from this shot, but she was filthy dirty.
 #1 Son (in the blue on the left) took a chicken and a rabbit this year as his 4-H projects. He really loves having the chickens. When they first started laying eggs he wanted to check their coop 4 and 5 times a day. It took a week to convince him that once a day was plenty if he waited until late afternoon. B.B. (in the red) informed me they were making the chickens a buffet.
 I don't know the actual name of this flower but around here they're called Surprise Lilies. Not my favorite from a distance but up close they're really lovely.
 A bloom from my Mister Lincoln Rose Bitsy and Husband planted for my birthday last year.
 My secret pal at work last school year gave me a hanging begonia as a reveal/birthday present. A few weeks ago I discovered a nest had been built in it despite the fact that it hangs right next to the door we use to come in and out all day long. I think Mama bird finally gave up and abandoned her eggs.
 "Mommy, will you take a walk with just me?" Who can say no to that?
 That tiny bit of white and light blue is Bitsy showing me how to climb the "steepy hill" in our creek.
 This is the culvert that runs under the road at the edge of our property. The FarmHands are always asking to crawl through it. Since I have a deep seated fear of Racoons and Opossum, I won't allow it. I did get brave enough to get down and snap this picture. I was surprised to see the light at the end of the culvert when I downloaded the picture as we couldn't see it in real life.
 Not sure what this pretty little thing is but they're about 4 inches off the ground and the bloom is about the size of a nickel. I love the color.
 All chickens are judgemental deep down inside.

No comments: