November 26, 2009

In Everything Give Thanks!

This Thanksgiving is going to be a bit rough for me, I fear. Normally, Husband, the FarmHands, and I would be loaded in the van on our way to Grandma M&M's to have a late lunch with my extended family. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Grandparents will sit & visit, play games, eat entirely too much food, stand around the deep fryer & laugh as Uncle Greenteeth keeps a close watch on the turkeys, watch a bit of football, and catch up on our lives.

Due to the hives still present on the FarmHands and the fact that my Grandparents are in delicate health, I decided not to risk exposing them to our creeping crud. Daddy is on his way north to their house. QM decided to stay home as not to risk her own health as she's recovering from pneumonia. Inkling & Henry David couldn't make it because of their trip to the States for Mary Genevieve's funeral. Other cousins won't make it down until tomorrow & Bubba & Beck won't make it there until later tonight.

I'm tempted to wallow in self pity today. We don't have a turkey. Chicken thighs will have to suffice. I have no jell-o to make Grandma M&M's cranberry salad with. There will be no pumpkin pie for Husband and B.B. There will be no blackberry cobbler for the rest of us. There will be no extended family to visit with. There will be no cousins for the FarmHands to play with.

But, I really have nothing to complain about. We have a freezer full of meat. I have a pantry full of food. We have closest full of clothes. We have bodies that are healthy in spite of viruses & infections that may set in. We have doctors & medicines to treat us when that happens. We have a home where we are safe. We have land for our children to run & play & grow on. We have vehicles that are dependable. I have a husband that works hard to provide for us & allow me to stay home to raise our children. We have things that are unnecessary, but make our lives a bit easier. We have family, that while not all are near, all are still dear. We know we are loved. We know we are cared for. And most importantly, we know that God sent His Son to die for us so that we can be united with Him when this life is over.

What is a lack of turkey & pie to all of this? Not much.

1 comment:

Kork said...

Amen. I hope that you had a good day that was restful and still enjoyable.