October 27, 2009

Budgie torture as entertainment.

To be clear up front, I'm not torturing my birds. They're just mad at me.



If it were up to Husband, Emmett & Quill (my parakeets/budgies) would never ever leave the confines of their cage. It's a nice, roomy job with lots of toys, perches, snacks, and a great view of the living room through the plexiglass bowed window front. I think they're happier with a bit more room to roam. There's a play gym on top of the cage, complete with toys & food dishes, that would go to waste if they were never let out.




Quite a few weeks back, when they were getting much more accustomed to our constant presence & noise, I started letting them out of the cage to hop around on the floor while I cleaned up after them. In the past 2 or 3 weeks they've discovered the wonders of their play gym, so that's where I put them now when I'm cleaning & feeding.



Today they've spent quite a bit of time hanging out up there & ruling over their domain. After Husband left for work & I was finished with my chores, I opened their doors to let them explore on their own. Normally I put them on the play gym myself. Not this time.



Emmett figured it out quickly & has spent the past 10 minutes enjoying his freedom. Quill, on the other hand, must not be quite as bright. She cannot figure out where Emmett went or how he got there. She's sitting on her swing chirping for him as loud as she can. He keeps chirping down at her to show her the way. She just doesn't get it.



"Chirp."

"Tweet?"

"Chirp. Chirp!"

"Tweet, tweet, chirp."

"CHIRP!!"

"Chirp?"

"Chirp."



Yeah, it doesn't translate well in print. They do not like to be separated but cannot figure out how to get in the same place at the same time. Quill finally climbed to the outside of the cage, but couldn't figure out how to get on top of it. Emmett tried to show her, and they both ended up on the ground. I chased them down & tried to put them both on the gym, but somehow Quill ended up there & Emmett was back in the cage.



I don't think they're the sharpest tools in the shed.

No comments: