January 3, 2009

Regarding the dilemma

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions on the movie front! Many of them I've already seen (Hancock, Juno, Stardust, Live Free or Die Hard, The Astronaut Farmer, Tristan & Isolde, Time Line, Nanny McPhee, Miracle, Invincible, The Women, The Pacifier, You've Got Mail, the Anne Movies, P&P), a few I've wondered about (Pan's Labrinth, and Burn After Reading), and at least one I tried to watch & couldn't (Mystic River). The Duchess should be here today or Monday & I'm looking forward to that with guarded anticipation. The one thing I think Netflix should be more clear on up front is the reason for the ratings. If a movie is rated R for violence or language I can handle it (to an extent...too much foul language & I lose interest quickly). If it's rated R for pervasive sexuality or nudity, no thanks. I think the reasons for the ratings should pop up in the little window that tells about the movie in the first place.

Coming up on our Que are The Kingdom (Jamie Foxx, Jenifer Garner as FBI agents in Saudi Arabia), Eagle Eye (Shai LeBouf's new movie), and the last two discs of NCIS season one (I'm loving Gibbs, Abby, Ducky, and Tony!). So hopefully my luck will improve.

As much as I'd love to rent all the Anne Movies again & the six hour marathon of wonder that is the BBC's Pride & Prejudice, unfortunately I have to share my Que with an Action Adventure junkie & four Disney freaks.

On the subject of viewing & movies & such, last night, Husband started the Great Television Hunt of 2009. When we moved, our big TV bit the dust, so shortly after settling in here we went out & got a new 32 inch television...that lasted all of 3 1/2 years. I was not happy. Since then, we've had a 19 inch television in our living room that Husband bought when he moved out of his folk's house in 1994. We've said we'd get a new one for years, but have never gotten around to it. That was the time when flat panels were getting very popular & starting to cost slightly less than your average Volkswagen.

NM, Husband's cousin and our resident Techie Geek, got a new giant Sony for himself for Christmas. He was showing me all the nifty things it does & I liked it! Since we opted out of our satellite subscription, the February deadline for the digital switch is looming over us. With his new TV, NM is picking up local channels we've only dreamed of...so we're considering an upgrade.

At the same time we were researching new telly's, Husband decided to check out Blu-ray players. That shocked me. This is the man who never wanted a DVD player. But when he changes his mind, he changes it in a big way. So we shall see what adventures await us in the next few days....

3 comments:

Gail said...

Ahhh, the great tv search. My husband has been drooling for months and has finally purchased one. He is quite pleased. He bought a Samsung and the picure clarity is great!

Queen Mother said...

TD has been playing with all the gadgets for the up coming TV change. He told me that he can pick up almost 50 channels without cable. We are suppose to inherit all his toys for our TV.

Gail said...

An award awaits you At The Farm.