January 9, 2009

Not fun

I have weaned Bitsy. This is not a pleasant thing because to get her to give up nursing, we've had to go cold turkey. Not fun for her. Flat out painful for me. Not a route I suggest at all.

Last night I decided to take a pain pill left over from my first wisdom tooth extraction. Apparently I did not do as well with it this time as I did last time because I hardly slept last night, I'm still woozy & shaky this morning, and I had a violent bout of nausea at 7:30 am that left me trying to nap on the bathroom floor. We made it to town & home & now I'm ready to collapse again. Don't think I'll be taking those anymore!

And Bitsy is not happy with me. Not. At. All. She wants to nurse. She makes no bones about telling me so. Loudly. In the middle of the night. I'm hoping another 24 hours or so & we'll both be better.

My decision to wean her stems directly from a complete lack of sleep lately. At 18 months, she should be sleeping through the night. Heck, that should have happened a year ago. But lately her waking has gotten more frequent and she has decided to sleep latched on. This is not a good thing as I am not really the human pacifier my daughter thinks I am.

So we are done. I only hope she figures it out soon.

4 comments:

Aimee said...

I'm sorry you're having to end your nursing. Is it ok if I say I'm a wee bit jealous? Abbie and I didn't get to nurse but a few scant times... some of that was chronicled on my website.

Anyway, you might think I'm crazy, but if it goes bad tonight or tomorrow, try waiting until Jan. 13th, when the Almanac suggests weanig.

Good luck! I know how painful that is. I hope Bitsy adjusts soon and is sleeping through the night in no time.

areyoukiddingme said...

Thanks for making me realize how lucky I am. My daughter pretty much weaned herself - she was just a year old when we stopped completely. For a couple months before that, she was nursing mostly just for comfort anyway, so I didn't have any real engorgement or pain. You have my sympathy, but I'm hopeful that you will get more uninterrupted sleep!

Susan said...

So sorry you're not doing well. It's a tough transition. My first weaned himself at a year (and I was bummed), the second at about 2, but he was a great sleeper. I don't blame you a bit! I hope you both sleep well tonight!

Grace said...

D.K. weaned himself around 18 months, I was so sad. With Bee, Smart Guy and I went away for four days and left all three kids with Inkling. Bee was 22 months old and when we left, she was still nursing a couple times a day and at bedtime. When we walked thru the door, the first thing she wanted to do was nurse. She tried and tried, but seemed to have forgotten how to latch on while we were gone. It was wierd. She tried several more times over the next few months and just couldn't figure it out again. I was so very sad to see nursing end with my last baby!!