April 25, 2007

Good Things

Bitsy is still Bitsy and has not morphed into a small boy child...thank the good Lord above. I can only imagine the trauma that would have inflicted upon our children (BabyGirl in particular) who refer to their sister as "Baby Bitsy" and never just "the baby." Don't worry, Bitsy has an actual name, but in keeping with the anonymity of my blog, I cannot share it. Sorry...and it's a good one!

The ultrasound this morning was blissfully uneventful. No worried glances, no over analyzing of the techs every move, no obsessive measuring of any given body part/organ, no whispering between doctor and tech, no "well, everything looks good, but...", no "one more quick look", no tears, no surprises. Just blurry pictures of our baby that slightly resemble a weather Doppler map. And her heart looked perfect (there had been a 2 mm. hole in it at 16 weeks, but there was no sign of it today).

Bitsy was not only head down, but facing my spine so a clear shot of her face was nearly impossible to get. We got a sweet little profile picture & can attest to the presence of a nose and the single face shot we got (that was too quick for an actual "snap shot") she worked her mouth around really well and stuck her tongue out at us. The rest of the time she kept her hands and feet in her face.

The 3-D attempt turned out to look more like a cross-section of the Elephant Man's skull so the tech dumped it. There were limbs and placenta blocking the way making her look more alien than human. Not really a shot for the baby book...which, by the way, I still haven't bothered to buy (I'm pretty sure I had BabyGirl's book by the time I was 16 weeks along).

I am relieved. The night before an ultrasound should be sleepless from excitement, not nausea and worry as mine usually are. We are down to the last 2 months or so of this pregnancy...am I ready for her to come? Not on your life. Am I ready to hold my new baby girl in my arms? You can bet the farm I am.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Glad she's still "Bitsy" I love the name you've picked out for her. It's very pretty.

Queen Mother said...

Is the baby book thing a hint?

FarmWife said...

QM, it wasn't a hint but if you feel the need to pick one out, be my guest. You probably have more to choose from than I do...

Anonymous said...

Well as long as her name isn't itsy bitsy spider..Then that's a good day.