March 24, 2007

A Royal Anniversary

34 years ago today (not matter what you may have stumbled across on another blog...which I highly recommend reading anyway) the Queen Mother walked down the aisle to wed Daddy at a little church in northern Indiana. Although I was not present (not for another 3 years), I did spend a great deal of time pouring over photos and wishing for a video tape of the event. I so wanted to be the flower girl & could never understand why they didn't pick me.

I do know the bridesmaid dresses were a beautiful blue & very classic. The groomsmen wore what must have been very dashing tuxedos at the time (now the ties seem a little big and the lapels a little wide, but rest assured, they were not ruffled & powder blue). I believe Grandma M&M wore a green brocade suit she made for the occasion & Busha wore pink with her hair in french curls (I have always loved her hair in those pictures). Bucka was so handsome in his suit & G'pa M&M's looks so young and dapper in the photos. Uncle Gick wore red & blue plaid pants and Unkie Di (who was his girlfriend at the time) wore a miniskirt that always made me jealous of her legs!

Bucka had 2 daughters married within a month and a half and thought he would go broke, so Mama wanted "If I were a Rich Man" played as he walked her down the aisle, but stuck with the wedding march instead. She did have "Sunrise, Sunset" played instead (I wanted it for my wedding, but we couldn't find it, so I had "Sabbath Prayer" to keep the Fiddler on the Roof tradition). I've always been told the minister had a crush on my mother (I think he was a young preacher from the bible college they attended), and from one picture of him and my parents, I'd believe it. They served communion after their vows.

The reception was in the fellowship hall/gym just off the sanctuary. The cake was white and topped with a cross. The punch was sort of a sparkling lemonade dyed to match the bridesmaids dresses (I had the same punch from the same Sweet Shoppe for my wedding brought down by G'ma & G'pa M&M's. It was dyed to match Inkling and Princess's dresses).

There is one picture of Busha and Q.M. with their foreheads together laughing like there's no tomorrow. It's my favorite. Mama says it's the only time they got along all day. Mama gave the ring bearer a pocket knife & the flower girl a locket. The flower girl wanted the pocket knife.

I still wish we had it all on video. I'll have to look through the album next time I'm home.

Mama and Daddy, I love you both & I am very proud of you for sticking it out for 34 years. It's not easy, and I know you work hard at it. Happy Anniversary.

2 comments:

Grace said...

I had the same punch from the Sweet Shop at our wedding and it was pink, and for my graduation party, it was purple, and my brother's graduation party... everyone has the Sweet Shop punch for anything big around here it seems like.

FarmWife said...

I think the Sweet Shoppe has closed...at least the one near our old house did.