March 27, 2007

And then old sneaky snake goes dancin'

We're having big adventures today. At least that's how it feels to my little men. They've helped Daddy haul straw to animals, fill the water tank for the goats, toss out the bad eggs, feed animals, take walks down the gravel road (and come back with treasures: special rocks & craw-dad claws), stomp through mud puddles in rubber boots, and most importantly of all, find snakes.
The last happened after B.B. and I came in the house. He'd been in the shed with the puppies (which are Great Dane pups...someone asked and I kept forgetting to answer) and he started yelling at me, "Mommy, You get me out NOW!" When I went to rescue him, B.B. informed me, "Me go in da house now. Dem puppies wicked me. Me no wike-a be wicked." (He swaps out l's for w's.)

So we came in for a chili and juice break. I called Busha to tell her a story I'd been forgetting:

When I went for my ultrasound, she sat with the boys. I made chili and put it in the crock-pot so she wouldn't have to try to cook with them underfoot. At lunch time, she made B.B. a bowl and sprinkled brown sugar over his chili as she did her own. B.B. "told" me about it when I got home. The next day I found him sitting in the floor of the pantry eating brown sugar by the handful out of the bag. When I asked what he was doing, he said, "Me eatin' chili! Ma-maw made it for me."

After telling her the story (much to her delight- Busha has a laugh like no other), I looked up to see #1 Son heading to the mail box on his own while Husband poked at the ditch with a hay fork. I hollered out the window for #1 Son to hustle his tail back down the lane & then heard Husband say, "Hey, Bubba, come see the snakes!" There were 2 of them. Husband scooped one into the water bucket and left the other in the grass. (No, QM, he did not kill them. We need them for rodent control...and they were not of the venomous variety.) They did give Husband and I a good opportunity to give our yearly snake speech to the boys:

What do you do if you ever see a snake? Back away and come get Mommy or Daddy. (BabyGirl always said, "I'll kill it with a stick!")

Now we're back inside and Husband is getting his daily smack-down from his progeny. This usually ends in tragedy, but they never learn.

5 comments:

Nan said...

We can't tell the difference between poisonous and non-poisonous. I know one of these days in that big back yard one of them is going to rear his ugly head and scare the beejeebers out of one or more of the kids. I just hope they leave it alone and don't try to capture it!

Anonymous said...

keep the snakes. Me no Likey!!

Margot said...

We have them here too, in France I mean... Poisonous and non-poisonous, I would be scared like hell to imagine kids trying to catch one. It's kind of hard to tell the difference between the two sorts. I know it's got to do with the form of the nose/head and the eyes but I panic easily with snakes. Not that I'm soooo scared of them. Just scared to mistake in making the difference. The grass-snakes are not dangerous, they bite but it's more like a bee sting effect and that's it. The adders (is that one or two d's?)... Gosh, they kill.
What kind of snakes do you have in the U.S.? The same as in Europe?

Lauren said...

I remember stepping on a gardener snake as a kid. We used to find their skins all over our yard. I didn't worry as much about poisonous snakes until we moved down south... copperheads freak me out. I'm also scared to swim in lakes and rivers here thanks to the horror stories I've heard. I guess the water was too cold for them in Michigan, because I don't remember posionous water snakes? Snapping turtles, yes... leaches, yes.... ugh....

Queen Mother said...

Baby Girl is soooo right!!!!!!!