August 12, 2019

Year 8...and go!

As no one checks up on this blog anymore, I may start using it to journal. Or I may neglect it entirely as I have done for the past few years. Momentarily I'm in the mood to type something whilst I hide in my bedroom from my children, whom I'm OVER, and dread the start of school tomorrow.

My last post was about moving into a new phase of life (and being killed). We had a long, busy summer (as is becoming the norm) and I am not ready to give up my late wake-ups and days spent in pajama bottoms to return to my tiny, industrial kitchen. But such is life.

Our summer...let's see...first of all, we came VERY close to losing Uncle Gick back in May. His heart, which has been in bad shape for years, gave out almost entirely landing him in the hospital for weeks and ended in an LVAD being implanted. For anyone who doesn't know what that is, I suggest looking into it. It's amazing! I'd link, but my html skills are all but gone thanks to 10 years of FB's auto linking. By the grace of God, the skill of his doctors, and immeasurable prayers, he's still with us and doing better than he's done in years. He starts the process of being put on the transplant list very soon.

Bitsy spent most of her summer trekking across the western end of the country. She spent 2+ weeks in TN with QM and Pa, another week and a half on vacation with them and HD, and a week at church camp. She loved all of it....except maybe the bed bugs at camp that resulted in us tossing everything she took with her (absolutely everything). Not taking that chance, no way, no how.

B.B. spent a week in TN babysitting Bub and Beck's baby boy (who I just realized has never been given a proper blog name, so will henceforth be known as Jaws because I say so) and PG (Princess's baby who's now 4?!) while helping Pa repair their back deck. Jaws fell madly in love with his big cousin who packed him around and played with him all day long. B.B., who will be 15 in a few weeks, loved having his grandparents all to himself for the first time ever.

B.B. had surgery just over a week ago to stop the frequent bloody noses he's had since he was 9. They'd increased in frequency and intensity in the past 2 years. Our NP sent us to a new ENT NP who we absolutely adored! It took a few visits and a few different treatments until they decided surgery was the way to go. It was nice to have someone who finally took us seriously and was determined to help him.

#1 Son spent a week this summer as a camp counselor and loved it. He came home and was rather surprised when QM and Pa gave him their old car. The caveat is that he is in charge of taking care of Busha's yard work. I wish I could post the video of him finding out the QM's HHR was now his. It was absolutely precious. At 6'2", he nearly knocked his grandmother to the ground hugging her thank you. He's spent a few weekends house sitting for Uncle Gick and Unkie Di as they traveled for appointments and to visit their grandbabies. And a sweet couple from church has hired him to do chores for their animals when they're away from home. He's enjoying the freedom of a vehicle (even if I do keep him on a VERY short leash) and the responsibilities offered. He's so grown up!

BabyGirl starts her first year of community college in 3 days. I'm so excited (ie nervous) to see how she does in this new phase of life. She's spent the majority of her summer with her boyfriend, Mo, or hanging out with his family while waiting for him to wake up. He's working 3rd shift at the same factory I worked at before she was born and her dad worked at until just a few years back. I wish he could move to days/second shift, but thirds is where most new hires (especially the young ones) land. I'm pretty certain we're stuck with Mo for the long run. It's a good thing we like him. BabyGirl adores him and he thinks she hung the moon and stars.

She's been working weekends at McD's for the past 2 months, but that may come to an end once she starts school. She's got a pretty heavy class load and that's where her dad and I want her focus to be.

Tomorrow starts my 8th year as a lunch lady. Kids who were 8th graders when I started are getting married and having babies. I know I'm only a few more years from being able to say, "I fed your mommy/daddy when they were in school."

And then there's Thrive....but that will have to wait for another time because it's a post in itself.

No comments: