February 15, 2011

I wanna' be famous.

I fear we are on the road to stardom....and not the good kind. The creepy reality television kind. Some day we're going to appear on an episode of Animal Hoarders. But then, can they really come to a farm? I mean, it's not like we're keeping 27 cats, 14 dogs, 8 rats, and a chinchilla in an apartment in L.A. We have 7 sheep, one goat, 13 chickens, half a dozen dogs, and a scattering of random cats on 10 acres in the country.

Husband and Bitsy got a new puppy Friday. Her name is Misha and she's a husky. We bought her from Husband's cousin. She owns the mama & this was their first litter. Getting Misha was my desperate attempt to distract my husband from wolves. Yup, you read that right. The man wants a wolf.

There's a family about 20 miles from us who breeds wolf pups & sells them. We went to see them about a year before we got pregnant with BabyGirl. At the time, you could have your name put on a list. Then you waited until they called to tell you it was your turn to come pick out a pup. Naturally, Husband put his name on the list. And naturally, his name came up in the middle of my first pregnancy. Not surprisingly, I vetoed the idea rather vehemently.

Now, 10 years later, the fever had struck again. It's come and gone over the past 10 years, but this time I could tell he was in the late stages of WPF better known as Wolf Pup Syndrome. If I didn't step in, I'd come home from the grocery to find a wolf in a kennel in my living room.

So as he began searching the Internet for wolf and wolf dog breeders, I began searching for pet wolf information. Much to his chagrin, I stumbled on a forum run by wolf & wolf dog owners. It said, in no uncertain terms, that wolves do not make good pets. Good companions, maybe if you have a vast amount of time to invest in them and can with out fail be the alpha in their pack. They are not good with other animals, small children, fences, or property you'd like to keep in tact. Eventually I began to steer Husband in a less wild, more domesticated direction.

He channeled his energy into finding a breed of dog that resembled a wolf, but was family friendly. Luckily, that's when his cousin posted pictures of her new litter of pups on Facebook. I emailed her a few times to ask about her pups, then I started researching huskies as family pets. They appear to be a match made in heaven.

Husband lost both his beagles this winter, so we were down to a paltry 5 dogs on the farm. That was simply unacceptable. With the addition of Misha, our dog population once again matches our human population. Things are once again, right in our world....so long as reality TV producers don't show up.

2 comments:

Kork said...

oooohhhhh...this makes me want a puppy. I miss my Rocco...any chance she'd cut us a smokin' deal and deliver one to Colorado while BB is gone?

zann said...

I can't say for sure that it is the husky in her because there is some German Shepherd too but I can without a doubt say that Sasha is the best dog I've ever owned. But the hair oh how you will deal with that undercoat all freakin year! But if you are like me it will become a fun activity to pluck your dog while you pet her. They are very smart dogs too. And if it makes your husband happy to hear, I've had a couple of people ask me before if Sasha is part wolf.