July 19, 2008

Yet another wonderful Saturday with the FarmHands.

I was relishing my freshly made BLT & chatting with Busha on the phone today when #1 Son came running in the kitchen clutching his neck. "I swallowed a rock, Mommy!" WHAT?!?! What kind of rock? Why did you swallow it? What's wrong with you, child? (There has been an on going battle with him putting things in his mouth that are not edible.)

It was one of those big glass aquarium rocks. You know, the ones that look like flat marbles? Yeah, one of those. I called Aunt CB(our go-to for most medical emergencies) and she said she thought it would pass, but to call the ER just in case. The ER was less than helpful stating, "It's up to you. We'd be happy to see him if you come in." Thanks. Appreciate it. I called Husband. He said take him. Better safe than sorry.

So I called RL and she said they'd keep BabyGirl & B.B. I turned around to find #1 Son rolling his suit case out of his room. "What are you doing?"
"I packed my clothes in case I throw up on these." I sent him back to put a few toys in his back pack with his change of clothes. When he comes back in he has everything he owns crammed in the back pack.
"What's in there?"
"My toys & books & Macaroni (his lovey)."
"What about your clothes?"
"They're still in my suit case."
"We're going to the ER, not on vacation." So I re-packed & we headed out.

As I was driving to Uncle E's, B.B. peeps in & says, "I think they'll just cut hims legs off, shake the rock out, and glue them back on. It'll be OK." Thank the Lord B.B.'s not our doctor. Later he told J, "#1 Son ate a green glass rock!" After he told them his chopping off legs theory, he said, "I don't think he'll be able to walk anymore." RL said, "Oh no! Then he won't be able to go swimming with you."
"Yes him can. Him can just float there in the water 'cause him has water wings."

We dropped off the kids and picked up Busha to help wrangle Bitsy.

After our lovely trip to the ER with Husband, I wanted to be sure we weren't getting the same doctor. Of course the ER attendant wouldn't tell me who was on duty. "Look, there's one doctor here that we will not see. Can you just tell me if it's worth me checking him in?" She would tell me NOTHING. So she had me talk to a nurse. He would tell me nothing. "All I want you to say is yes or no when I tell you this doctor's name. That's it. I'm not staying if he's here." Still nothing. But the nurse did ask what was wrong. I showed him a stone like the one #1 Son swallowed & he said, "Oh, he'll be fine. That's smooth & not corrosive. It will pass right through." So we headed back to Uncle E's.

#1 Son told his Uncle E, "It'll just pass & I get to poop in the little potty chair now!!" We want to be sure it passes, so that's what I'd told him to do.

I'm really sick of spending my Saturdays in the ER. Busha said she was going to tell Mama that she or Daddy had to move up here because they can't keep up with all our emergencies. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought you might like the following story:
http://blogs.jobdig.com/wwds/2008/07/19/the-egg-and-her-a-family-story/
GL HOFFMAN
Minneapolis, MN

needlefingers said...

That's baloney. At the hospital where Pilot works, people check to see who's got ER duty all the time. It's not like it's a secret.