May 26, 2008

Vacation, take Three.


Saturday came much too soon. After all the excitement of the previous two days, we decided to grab a few souvenirs & hit the road. It took a while to pack up all the belongings we'd acquired & clean up our cabin (have I mentioned that I did not once do dishes while we were gone?!?! Husband washed up after every meal. I honestly cannot imagine the last time he did dishes at home. I told him I never planned on coming home...if it means 24 hours of undivided attention from him, constant help with the FarmHands, living next door to my parents, and no dishes, I'm all for vacation living). I'm not even sure what time we left that morning. Not particularly early since the FarmHands all slept past 7 am (Yahoo!!).




We stopped back in at the Dinosaur World gift shop to grab a suit case #1 Son wanted for his birthday, then trekked up the hill side to the Gun Mountain Gift shop to pick up kitchy touristy stuff for RL to say thanks for house sitting, and a cedar jewelry box for BabyGirl. As we headed home Husband and I discovered all kinds of things we'd like to do sometime without the kids in tow. Lost Cave boat tours, A Shaker Museum, Gun Town Mountain Western Show...maybe we'll head back for our anniversary....




The trip home was uneventful until we got to the big city of Effin'bill (as #1 Son used to call Evansville, IN). The kids slept most of the trip, the DVD player never came out of it's bag, and no one had to stop to pee. Just south of Evansville Husband decided we'd hit up Chuck E. Cheese as one last hurrah for our vacation. We didn't tell the FarmHands our devious scheme. When we pulled up in the parking lot, they started squealing almost as much as when they saw the giant dinosaur from the highway two days before.


After an hour and a half at the lair of the giant singing rat, we loaded back up to head for the farm. I got suddenly VERY ill (no, I'm not pregnant....it's a traveling thing) and was not pleasant for the next 45 minutes of the trip. But in the end we made it home safe & sound & much happier for the experience.


The kids have drug all their souvenirs out for everyone who's stopped by & told stories to anyone willing to listen. I'm pretty sure they'll remember this for quite a while (which is good because with gas nearing $4.00 a gallon, we'll not be leaving the yard much this summer).


All my laundry is now done & the house is back in a comfortable state of chaos. Oh, and do you remember the Amazon gift card we were debating about earlier this month? Well, it paid for the tent you see. No one has slept in it, yet. Husband says it's, "Just for playing in," but I beg to differ. What's the point of a tent no one sleeps in?
So now we're back to life in the real world...except school is out & Husband has ALL WEEK OFF!!! I'm glad to be home, but would have happily spent about 3 more days in our little cabin. Now if only I could find time to catch up with all the blogs I missed out on while we were gone.
Pictures: A bag of tumbled rocks we got at Kentucky Down Under (I'm a sucker for tumbled rocks...I really should just get myself a tumbler).
The bracelet I got at Kentucky Down Under. Quartz & gemstones were Everywhere. I think this is the only thing I got for myself. QM & Daddy got me a new charm for my bracelet.
The tent living in my front yard by the crepe mertyl that will never bloom.
My peonies that will FINALLY bloom this year...after 4 years of TLC.

2 comments:

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast! I think we may just have to take the same trip once our boys are little older.

Ragged Around the Edges said...

What a wonderful family vacation. You guys deserve it.